Ongoing updates to App Store search rankings

Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
3 0 4

You may have noticed some changes to the ordering of apps in our category pages and app search results in the Shopify App Store. We’ve been in the process of rolling out ongoing improvements to our algorithms that will help merchants easily find high quality apps that best fit their business. 

It is important to note that these changes apply to both your existing app listing and the enhanced app store listings, which need to be submitted by December 3rd (you should have received an email in October about this update).

Two important factors that affect app rankings in user search:

App listing page
You should ensure that important keywords consistently appear and are naturally placed in your app listing. These keywords should logically flow with the content of the sentence or paragraph. Keyword stuffing and any misleading or irrelevant content should be avoided. 

Overall app quality
We proactively reward high quality apps (e.g. unique functionality, well designed, good support) that align with our quality standards and success guidelines. Shopify ensures a consistent, high quality merchant experience across the platform - we aim to empower app developers to apply the same standards that Shopify adheres to. 

We’re continuously optimizing our algorithms to provide the best experience for both app developers and the merchants who use these apps. 

If you have any questions, please comment in the thread below.

1 Like
Shopify Partner
660 0 100

Looks like the absolute number of reviews got given quite a bigger weight with this update.

0 Likes
Shopify Partner
261 1 46

Hi Chris,

For existings published apps, it looks like we can save a draft for the enhanced app store listings, but there doesn't seem to be an option to submit it. Can you clarify what the process is to submit for the enhanced app listing?

Cheers,

Ryoma

Utilize Trust Seals with Reviews Generation to increase your sales conversions - https://apps.shopify.com/trust
1 Like
Excursionist
23 0 0

Hi Chris,

I've noticed that our app listing has been slipping in the past few weeks even though we continue to garner 5 star reviews.  Can you help us with an assessment of our app against the new guidelines?

Thanks in advance,

Derek

0 Likes
Tourist
26 0 1

Are there any news - when is the new version planned to be live?

Printify Team
0 Likes
Shopify Expert
40 0 1

Hi Chris,

Thanks for the update and I tried it on my app listings by optimizing the content, and it really worked.

But I still not 100% sure that new algorithm to rank the apps is working as intended.

Example: See this app listing as its best example of keyword stuffing all over the place.

https://apps.shopify.com/image-gallery-by-enormapps

It has the keyword - LOOKBOOK, used 118 times in it and thats why, it ranks at number 1 for the same keyword.

I am a bit confused at this point. 

0 Likes
Shopify Expert
257 0 19

Good to know the estimated date of release Enhanced App Listing. At least some wireframe could help us to prepare the content to match it :)

PageFly - CRO Solution for your Shopify Store
0 Likes
Shopify Partner
24 0 5

Keyword stuffing does seem like a big deal.  As well as people plugging their apps somehow with dozens of fake reviews from stores that A) have no contact information and/or B) have a very shoddy product catalogue.  This is extremely disheartening.

0 Likes