Only one sale and high traffic

Highlighted
1 0 0

Hi I know this has been discussed before but I have no idea what to do still. I have made one sale in the whole time I’ve had my shop open and none since. I get tons of traffic and add to carts but no sales. My husband and I started our Shopify business because we are about to lose our jobs. Any help will be great. Here is our business pages. Www.bonniebowsboutique.com 

www.shopfornerds.com 

He spends so much time and money on his and has made 15 sales I think but it’s not getting us any where. Please help us out. 

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
444 48 97

Hi @Bonniebowsbouti

Hyde here from Shopify.

Congratulations on getting started with your online businesses and on setting out to be self-employed.

I'm sorry to hear about your job situation, and I really would love to help you to the best of my abilities. I've had a look at both your stores and realized that both could benefit from the same amendments, so the feedback and tips I provide below could be equally applied to both:

Showing your store as a brand that is an authority in a particular niche is a great way to set yourself apart from your competitors. Even though you may not be manufacturing your products, your brand can show itself to be the best curator in your niche.

To do this you should pick a niche that you are knowledgeable about and curate your products around it. In a saturated market, it’s best to be specific instead of broad. For example, a men's golf clothing store is probably going to be easier to develop an identity and brand around than a sporting store for men, women, and children that covers multiple sports and tries to market to a huge and diverse audience.

To build a brand you should look at having

- a strong, relevant name.
- a visual identity (logo, color scheme)
- a mission statement (what makes your brand different
- a target customer (who is your customer? What magazines do they read? What social media do they hang out on? Who influences their decisions? Are they high or low tech?)

There’s a great guide to creating customer personas here. And some great examples of visual identities here.

All this information will help you craft your brand's message which is going to be a big help when it comes time to create your about page. This is an essential page on any e-commerce store. It helps customers understand who you are, what you care about, and why they should trust you.

Using your mission statement you can combine this with your visual identity to craft a page that appeals to your target customer. Check out some great examples of About pages here:

- About Life is Good 

27-05-45alc-o75kx

Life is Good show the backstory behind their brand, their history and lets their customers know who they are:

27-06-x8wyo-mweps
They also show their mission statement to be uplifting and positive whilst encouraging their customers to engage with them on social media using the hashtag thisisoptimism.

27-19-3v0rr-6qyp4

- About Johnny Cupcakes

Johnny Cupcakes shows the roots of his brand and what drove him to create it. This personal story about seeing his parents struggle inspiring him to be an entrepreneur and his own struggle with learning difficulties speaks to his audience.

Another place having a brand identity and target customer comes in useful is on your product page.  You can get really creative with your product descriptions. There are even some templates you could use to speed up the process.

Perfect for ___________________________ (ideal situation),
these _______________ (product name)
can be/will _______________ (tell a quick story).
(Product name) ______________
are ______________ (top features)
to _______________ (product benefits).
No more _____________________ (pain and/or challenge).

Example:
Perfect for weekend getaways in the mountains, these Mighty Camper Cups will bring you and your friends or loved ones closer together around a campfire. Exactly what mountain trips were made for! Our Mighty Camper Cups are sturdy and built just for you with insulated fibers to ensure that your hot cocoa stays hot and your iced tea stays iced. No more crying over spilled milk!

You can also take the keywords here and add them to a spreadsheet so Brand, Baseball Cap, Men, Cotton, Casual, Sports, Golf, Hats, Snapback, etc as you add products you can see which of these come up most often and use them for your collections Meta Titles and descriptions also.

With your about page ready, your product titles, and descriptions on point, you’ll have experience writing and also know your target audience so you could start looking at creating content e.g. blog posts for your audience. Writing blog content around your business, your niche and also your products such as

- guides to using your products
- products that work well together
- your journey in starting this business
- commentary on a major topic within your niche
- interview with an influencer within your niche

*Creating good content gives your customers a reason to keep coming back to your site for more*.

There’s a great guide to building a blog for your business here

- How To Build a Successful Business Blog

If you want to dive deeper into Meta and SEO in general there are two great guides here -

- Charles Floate - Ecommerce SEO Guide
- Matthew Woodward - Ultimate Ecommerce SEO Guide

And here are some businesses leveraging blogs successfully to promote their brand.

- Afends Magazine
- Clif Bars

27-00-2gzj4-urd8y

*Afends offers some insight into the behind-the-scenes at the brand and also interviews with people who would interest its target customer.*

27-00-lxbjz-gcbew

*Clif offers tips on nutrition and fitness which as a healthy snack is going to be relevant to its target customer.*

Here’s a guide to setting up your store's blog -

- How to use your Shopify blog

You can use your content to help build your social media perhaps by using

- quotes from interviews on Twitter.
- graphics with product combos from your product guides on Pinterest.
- video interviews on Instagram or youtube.
- having your interviewee share the interview on their social profiles

To sum it up;

- Build a Brand Identity
- Use it to Build Content
- Promote that Content
- Use it to Attract New Customers and Re-Engage Existing ones.

You should also keep an eye on some of these great blogs and podcasts to keep up with new trends in e-commerce

- Ezra Firestone
- Shopify Blog
- Unofficial Shopify Podcast

I hope this all helps, let me know if you have any other questions. 

All the best, Hyde. 

Hyde | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
216 17 82

Hey @Bonniebowsbouti,

Here are some quick pointers for increased conversions

1. Build confidence by using social proof: Social proof comes in many forms. They can be reviews, trust badges, customer testimonials, videos, ratings, etc. Customers are more likely to trust you when you have social proofs that establish you’re a reputable brand other people are already buying from.
------> Reviews: Get more reviews in your products, this is for shoppers to gain some confidence in buying from your store. To know more about how to ask for reviews politely, you can read it here.

2. Good navigation provides an improved user experience leading to more sales and revenue. Add a top navigation bar with the product catalog broken down into different collections & categories so that customers can quickly browse and reach their desired products faster. Also, have an auto-complete and suggestion feature in the search bar so that it provides an extra helping hand to relatable collections and products will also be useful.

3. Adding product stickers/trust badges can help increase your sales by tapping into powerful psychological triggers such as scarcity, social proof, and urgency. (For example, Amazon adds social proof by adding badges like "Amazon's choice" and according to reports, they get an increased conversion rate of 25%.) Also having graphic and personalized stickers on products will help grab the attention of customers easily and nudge them to purchase. (I have added images as reference. If you do like it, then check out more sticker packs here - it's free)

Screenshot 2020-08-19 at 12.55.19 PM.pngScreenshot 2020-08-20 at 9.48.51 PM.pngScreenshot 2020-08-22 at 1.34.42 AM.png

Hope this helps.

ModeMagic
Featured on Shopify Staff Picks
0 Likes
Highlighted
Excursionist
30 2 2

First of all, visiting https://www.bonniebowsboutique.com/ page returns 404 Forbidden error. 

chenster_1-1598386253488.png

That's not good. You need to fix that in DNS. It's an easy fix with domain redirect. Let me know should you need help on that.

Link to https://bonniebowsboutique.com works.

The home page is very busy. I don't know where to look at. There's no easy guidance to direct where visitors should look at first. Try a different theme and find out what works the best. 

Lastly, you can always use a 'social proof' app to make you store appears active and engaging. Something like "Social Proof Popup Maker" should do. Try a coupon or recent review of your store. 

Hope this helps!

Richard

0 Likes