Order Summary Product Thumbnail

valentichgoods
Tourist
11 0 6

Hi, 

Is there a way to load the product image and name on the order summary page without clicking on the order? We make most of our items to order and would like to be able to scroll and see each order image/name so we can easily create our production list. I can't believe Shopify doesn't have this feature? We were on Squarespace for years and found that feature essential. Am I missing something? Is there a work around?  Photo of the order page is below. Screen Shot 2019-07-10 at 3.11.54 PM.png

Replies 42 (42)

Sophia
Shopify Staff
1666 108 217

Hi, @valentichgoods!

Sophia here from Shopify.

The Orders overview page doesn’t currently offer product thumbnails, but I can absolutely submit a feature request to the appropriate teams here in case it’s something we can include going forward. Ideally, would you want the thumbnails of the products in each order to appear beside the order number, or would it be something that appears when you hover over an order number? Do you have any orders that contain more than one product?

In the meantime, there are some other ways that you can sort orders to create your production lists. For example, you can use order tags or just search the product title on the Orders page to export a specific list for production. Using Shopify’s free Order Printer app would allow you to include product thumbnails if you want to print orders and sort them away from the computer.

Are there any other order management features you’re looking for other than the thumbnails of products ordered? If so, one of the order management apps in the Shopify App Store might be useful as well.

Sophia | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

kelly12
Tourist
4 0 7

This feature needs to be added. It is a standard feature of practically ALL other major sales platforms and ecommerce webhosts. It's also not a difficult feature to implement.

Another common feature that would be extremely helpful would be an order note section that is visible on that summary page or the ability to tag orders with a status other than Draft and Shipped.

Overall the functionality of the ordering system on Shopify is years behind most others in terms of basic functionality. On Shopify we basically have a list of order numbers with nothing to indicate what the order contains, which vendor it's from, status (for dropship and POD orders), etc. This makes processing orders take much longer and leads to errors. 

Users should not have to look to 3rd party apps and external services for basic ecommerce functionality. This has been a longterm problem with Shopify which has been repeatedly pointed out by users. Necessary improvements are long overdue.

Sophia
Shopify Staff
1666 108 217

@kelly12 wrote:

This feature needs to be added. It is a standard feature of practically ALL other major sales platforms and ecommerce webhosts. It's also not a difficult feature to implement.

Another common feature that would be extremely helpful would be an order note section that is visible on that summary page or the ability to tag orders with a status other than Draft and Shipped.

Overall the functionality of the ordering system on Shopify is years behind most others in terms of basic functionality. On Shopify we basically have a list of order numbers with nothing to indicate what the order contains, which vendor it's from, status (for dropship and POD orders), etc. This makes processing orders take much longer and leads to errors. 

Users should not have to look to 3rd party apps and external services for basic ecommerce functionality. This has been a longterm problem with Shopify which has been repeatedly pointed out by users. Necessary improvements are long overdue.

Hi, @kelly12.

I'm happy to let you know that the Orders list has been updated since my last response in this thread was posted, and thumbnails of the products included in each order can now be viewed from that page. If you click on the number of items in an order, you'll see a thumbnail image for each item included. Here's an example from my test store of what the new Orders list page looks like: 

22-06-26hdq-jr7no
At this time, the Fulfillment status cannot be customized, but you can tag orders and filter the Orders list page based on those tags. You can also use the search bar to filter your orders with a custom term. Feedback like this is incredibly valuable as it is what prompts changes like this to come about, so I appreciate you taking the time to share your concerns here. If there's any additional information you'd like to share in light of these changes, please let me know and I'd be happy to submit feedback to my team on your behalf.

kbrookpel
Tourist
3 0 10

Honestly this update isn't good enough. You still have to take the time to click on it to see the pictures. Why can't the order page be similar to other platforms such as Etsy? I was going to use Shopify as my main order hub with all of my other marketplaces pointing to it, but the order page is archaic in comparison so I really can't justify doing that. I'd rather use Etsy to fullfill my Shopify orders at this point. 

An order note section is also absolutely critical as Kelly mentioned. As well as being able to add Progress Steps the way Etsy has it, instead of just fullfilled/partially fullfilled. Tags really aren't good enough.  For users who only use Shopify, they've no idea what they're missing. But for those of us that use multiple platforms it's very obvious where Shopify ranks with them... and it's at the bottom. I hope to see more changes coming soon. 

kbrookpel_0-1598462879834.png

I_want_answers
Tourist
9 0 8

We are coming from Opencart and it has a beautiful visual representation of sales.

When you see the photo of the item it gives you a visual idea what is trending.

We are not accounts looking at numbers and figures, we really need this feature please...

Screen Shot 2020-11-23 at 17.10.44.png

Elyseburns
Visitor
1 0 4

This update isn’t good enough at all. I have multiple products in almost every order and it’s impossible to group orders together easily without seeing the thumbnail pictures. I’m super disappointed I spent so long creating my Shopify website just for filling orders to be a nightmare. I’ve tried apps and shipping software that is just a pain. I wish that Shopify made their orders page similar to Squarespace or Etsy, or at least offered the option. I realize you can add tags like you mentioned, but that is more work on my end when adding pictures to the orders page would be wildly more efficient. Please do better Shopify. Your order fulfillment page is terrible 😞

Fieldworkco
Visitor
1 0 2

Ya, Shopify... This is ridiculous. Please fix this ASAP

I have spent way too much time trying to find a workaround. and really, there is no good workaround.

I need the visual component on my order List. And I'm not clicking on some dumb drop-down menu to find the thumbnail.

Please forward this to your development team. And get them to change this. it shouldn't be that hard. Literally every other platform has thumbnails beside the order, and you guys can too

GaryVoff
Tourist
3 0 5

I just migrated the bigcartel shop to shopify, i really wish i could have known there is no thumbnail in the orders page. The drop down menu doesn't really solve the issue. I need thumb nails to do a visual scroll and know to ignore an order, we do preorders for albums and i can get a couple hundred orders a day and i will have to sift through them to find non preorders to get out to customers in a normal turn around time. This was an amazing feature with Big Cartel. Please add this.

Sophia
Shopify Staff
1666 108 217

Hi, everyone!

I appreciate you following up with additional feedback and screenshot examples here. It's really helpful to hear about your workflows and specific use cases for feature requests like this. I want to assure you that your concerns have been brought to the attention of our developers for consideration in future updates. While I can't confirm which changes can be made and when, please keep an eye on Shopify's changelog for updates. Thank you!

GaryVoff
Tourist
3 0 5

pleaseeeeeeee fix it. I really hope this feature gets added. I had 300+ orders in 36-48 hrs. And im sitting here hitting “k” and “j” over and over again like an idiot to see what orders i can actually send out. Its very time consuming and very inconvenient.   . 

HypeColor
Visitor
1 0 1

I honestly can't believe this isn't native functionality. Shopify, do you even do customer research? Do you even talk to merchants? The fact you came in and thought clicking on the order to reveal a dropdown of the item is embarrassing at best. This is ticket to entry order management. The orders page is a mess to deal with without this feature, and using an app or exporting a CSV to do this outside of where I manage my orders is an enormous pain. I currently have 50 open orders and going through fulfillment is a massive pain because of this half baked orders list.

To outline the use case, the reason CSV/app export doesn't work is because I'm constantly fulfilling orders throughout the day. I need a real time list of what's fulfilled and whats not. I'm printing labels, packing orders, and NEED to see what items I have left to ship in a list format. Not something to click on. Not printed off a CSV which doesn't update. This is a function the orders page is supposed to fulfill.

thatdudebooks
Visitor
1 0 3

Given we are now in 2022 is there any movement on dev efforts to add this Feature functionality? As many other merchants have stated this is a fairly easy to implement (and immensely) useful feature most of us need. 

Sophia
Shopify Staff
1666 108 217

@thatdudebooks wrote:

Given we are now in 2022 is there any movement on dev efforts to add this Feature functionality? As many other merchants have stated this is a fairly easy to implement (and immensely) useful feature most of us need. 

Hi, @thatdudebooks

All of the feedback and use cases in this thread have been shared with our developers. I know it can be frustrating to wait, but I'm not able to provide details on which features are in progress. 

Any updates and new features are posted on the Shopify Changelog, and you'll also receive updates via email if you're subscribed to notifications from Shopify.

toyguy
Tourist
7 0 5

This sucks.

We were excited about migrating to shopify and this is our first LET-DOWN!

How do you see which items are in orders without thumbnail of items??

Feels like I've gone back 10 years!

Crap.

toyguy
Tourist
7 0 5

Knowing this ignorance, I'm now tempted to go back to the platform we're supposed to be migrating from!

XenoCat
Visitor
2 0 0

Please fix this.

Is there news that this is still being considered at all and hasn’t been pushed to the very back of your developers “task” list or shoved under a pile of papers?

This is unacceptable, and as many others have said, it is not an appropriate feature for a major store. Each item of ours is unique, meaning a sku or generic title DOES NOT lend us to accurate order fulfillment.

Many other users have detailed their complaints and we agree, when I get sales we have to have a thumbnail feature to check our in photos. We had migrated from Etsy and this feels like a step behind, actually further since Etsy was our starter platform and with growth, we honestly expect more from this site. Please follow Etsy’s thumbnail example and correct this, it’s absolutely essential so we don’t have to click into every single order where our sales that go into the hundreds at a time. 

A drop down menu that still doesn’t show at a glance what products we are looking for is actually horrid. Tell me, would you want to click for 200+ open orders a little drop down menu one at a time to go through another few clicks to get to a product image? 

Do you want to do this every week while maintaining everything else that requires a store to run like creating said products, packaging them and other tasks? 

This increases errors, increases fulfillment time and the basic invoices even if printed have very tiny photos so we still can’t tell what’s on them without being forced to use the drop down menu or buy an invoice service.

I am always happy to get in a call, share photos or our experiences. We want to grow with you and appreciate the time you took to read this. 

Please, make this a priority. 

(When a third party app developer of a team of 3 can crank out fully optimized apps that fix similar issues or more complex issues in a month, there is no excuse. Developers can be sourced everywhere and aren’t uncommon now these days with many different skills and if your current team cannot preform the tasks or complete them, consider finding other professionals that can.)

Sophia
Shopify Staff
1666 108 217

@XenoCat wrote:

Please fix this.

Is there news that this is still being considered at all and hasn’t been pushed to the very back of your developers “task” list or shoved under a pile of papers?

This is unacceptable, and as many others have said, it is not an appropriate feature for a major store. Each item of ours is unique, meaning a sku or generic title DOES NOT lend us to accurate order fulfillment.

Many other users have detailed their complaints and we agree, when I get sales we have to have a thumbnail feature to check our in photos. We had migrated from Etsy and this feels like a step behind, actually further since Etsy was our starter platform and with growth, we honestly expect more from this site. Please follow Etsy’s thumbnail example and correct this, it’s absolutely essential so we don’t have to click into every single order where our sales that go into the hundreds at a time. 

A drop down menu that still doesn’t show at a glance what products we are looking for is actually horrid. Tell me, would you want to click for 200+ open orders a little drop down menu one at a time to go through another few clicks to get to a product image? 

Do you want to do this every week while maintaining everything else that requires a store to run like creating said products, packaging them and other tasks? 

This increases errors, increases fulfillment time and the basic invoices even if printed have very tiny photos so we still can’t tell what’s on them without being forced to use the drop down menu or buy an invoice service.

I am always happy to get in a call, share photos or our experiences. We want to grow with you and appreciate the time you took to read this. 

Please, make this a priority. 

(When a third party app developer of a team of 3 can crank out fully optimized apps that fix similar issues or more complex issues in a month, there is no excuse. Developers can be sourced everywhere and aren’t uncommon now these days with many different skills and if your current team cannot preform the tasks or complete them, consider finding other professionals that can.)

Thank you for adding your feedback to the thread, @XenoCat! I understand that the current process is time consuming for you and others, and I have shared your thoughts with our developers.

I can't provide information on the priority of planned platform updates, but I can guarantee that our developers will read and seriously considder the feedback you've offered here. Please keep an eye on the Shopify changelog for updates.

panthea
Visitor
1 0 1

Once again here we are and its 2023, 4 years after this initial thread and we sellers still want to be able to AT LEAST see a small mini thumbnail photo next to each order in our orders list, and ideally also to show the variations they bought in our orders list as well. It is not that hard to do! this is something that almost every platform has, that EVERYONE wants and has complained about, many of us have hundreds of orders at a time and we need a visual list of what people bought to fulfill easily without having to clicking on each order or opening it up.

RagsandRivers
Visitor
1 0 1

Fairly new to Shopify and extremely frustrated with the order screen and not being able to see the images of what customers ordered from there. I searched to see if there was an outside app or something that we could use similar to Etsy's order screen and came across this feed. Pretty bummed to see that it's been 4 years of people wanting this and nothing has happened. 

JoanneW
Visitor
2 0 0

Adding my desperate plea for this feature. I've come from Etsy and for all their faults their order page is great for having an overview of what my outstanding orders include at a glance. 

I find shopify so hard for this, it slows my order fulfilment down 10 fold. 

PLEASE consider adding this feature as a priority. 

toyguy
Tourist
7 0 5

That is NOT a solution.

Users are asking for visible THUMBNAIL icons/pictures of the 1st/2nd item on order and after 3 years....NOTHING!!!

hellows
Visitor
1 0 0

Any updates? This is a desperate need for us coming from other platforms. 

hotfoils
Visitor
1 0 0

Did anyone find a way around this? it's ridiculous.

Etsy make it so easy for me to batch print my orders as I can see at a glance how many of each thing I've sold.

JBillz
Visitor
2 0 2

I recently switched from Etsy to Shopify and this was a HUGE letdown. This combined with the limit of a 2 day turnaround time and I’m really regretting my decision. I do over $300,000 in sales a year and it’s such a waste of time to click on each order to see the thumbnails. Seems like a very simple fix, no??

Sophia
Shopify Staff
1666 108 217

@JBillz wrote:

I recently switched from Etsy to Shopify and this was a HUGE letdown. This combined with the limit of a 2 day turnaround time and I’m really regretting my decision. I do over $300,000 in sales a year and it’s such a waste of time to click on each order to see the thumbnails. Seems like a very simple fix, no??

Hi, @JBillz.

Thank you for sharing your feedback. I appreciate that this might seem like an easy fix, but even a change that could technically be simple to code takes a lot of consideration and planning in terms of how the change will interact with other aspects of the admin, apps, etc.

Can you tell me a bit more about the workflow you're used to so I can submit a feature request on your behalf to our developers? What does the ideal order fulfillment process look like for your business?

kelly12
Tourist
4 0 7

This functionality has long been present in the vast majority of online sales platforms. Like many other things, Shopify has always been an exception. It's understood that even basic features and functionality take time to consider, develop and implement. However, this is something which sellers have been complaining about for at least a decade. 

Some of the most basic parts of Shopify consistently make it seem that the development team has done zero research, doesn't really understand the basics of what they're designing or how it will actually be used.

For a similar example, until recently Shopify didn't have more than the most rudimentary shipping rate settings. Just never developed them... all had to be done with expensive 3rd party apps. Now that more functionality has finally been introduced, the system is so convoluted and counterintuitive that it just greatly complicates everything and beyond pretty basic needs, it still really doesn't work and sellers have to go back to 3rd party apps. Sellers complain, Shopify responds by making it even more dysfunctional. 

No one's asking for Shopify to design a new system of jet propulsion or even reinvent the wheel... we're just saying that something with two or four wheels will get us where we need to go faster. Shopify reacts as if this is an entirely alien concept requiring literal years of consideration, planning and development. Then, when an update is finally announced, proudly hands us back our unicycles with two additional square wheels awkwardly slapped on. 

JBillz
Visitor
2 0 2
Everything is made to order in our shop and we offer over 24 different styles of wreaths, so an order list of 100+ orders contains many different styles. I need to be able to see a photo or at least a title of which styles are in the order list at first glance. Clicking on individual orders to see the photo is time consuming and does not help. It needs to be something I can see at first glance.
Sophia
Shopify Staff
1666 108 217

@JBillz wrote:
Everything is made to order in our shop and we offer over 24 different styles of wreaths, so an order list of 100+ orders contains many different styles. I need to be able to see a photo or at least a title of which styles are in the order list at first glance. Clicking on individual orders to see the photo is time consuming and does not help. It needs to be something I can see at first glance.

I really appreciate you sharing these additional details and have submitted your feedback to our developers for consideration in future updates. Thank you!

PawelSekula
Tourist
4 0 2

I have the same problem. I moved to Shopify and the lack of thumbnails is just pathetic.
Even more pathetic is responding for 4 years - be patient.
This is one of the most important things on the order list - really Shopify Team can't understand this?

This is a feature that should be standard. We should not be begging for it.

upahar
Visitor
1 0 1

hello please add product image or thumbnail in orders summery page in shopify because we have to click on item Colom to view what customer ordered. this is very annoying experience. i get hundreds of orders daily it is very hard to know what customer ordered. please update the product thumbnail for single ordered item and multiple ordered item as well. Thank you

Sophia
Shopify Staff
1666 108 217

Thank you for posting this request, @upahar! I have passed your feedback along to our developers, along with the other requests in this thread.

I_want_answers
Tourist
9 0 8

Sophia, we have been asking this for over 4 years now! Isn't it time for Shopify to introduce it as a matter of urgency?

Sophia
Shopify Staff
1666 108 217

I appreciate that you'd like to see this change implemented as soon as possible.

There are a number of factors that go into deciding which feature requests are actioned and when. Our developers are made aware of each feature request posted here, so they will seriously consider all detailed feedback and use cases offered (regardless of how many requests there are or how long it has been since a request was made). However, I cannot guarantee when and if a feature request will be fulfilled.

pushpindersingh
Tourist
4 0 2

Just writing here hoping my plea also gets registered, I only recently started my store and it feels a let down to see users asking for a basic functionality which is there in pretty much every other E commerce platform but Shopify. Hoping to get a fix soon. 

Sophia
Shopify Staff
1666 108 217

Thanks for sharing your thoughts, @pushpindersingh. I've submitted a feature request to our developers on your behalf.

CDAN
Visitor
1 0 0

Adding a plus one to this discussion. I'd REALLY appreciate the ability to see the exact items ordered with thumbnails in each order row without having to click a drop down. I should be able to search a customer's name and see everything they have ever bought, with accompanying thumnails of those products. 

Sophia
Shopify Staff
1666 108 217

Thank you, @CDAN!

I appreciate you explaining what the ideal process would look like, and I have shared this feedback with our developers for consideration in future updates.

MWxx
Visitor
3 0 0

Like many others here I have just migrated to shopify. I spent months building out the store, to discover this feature missing on the first day of launching. I have multiple different products some have to be fulfilled manually, some from different warehouses, not being able to readily see order information is extremely inefficient as everyone has been pointing out. 

One suggestion; since there is already an existing dropdown from the item list with a thumbnail... it would be very nice if there were an option for a condensed version as it is, and an expanded version where the dropdown was already present and the info line was just way taller with the extra info. It could be similar to how gmail has compact, comfortable, and default view options.

Since its the holiday season and I am now having to adapt to a confusion new workflow. I do have one helpful tip for anyone who's also struggling with this. The search bar at the top will bundle the orders with certain keywords in them so you can manage orders that way more efficiently instead of trying to figure out whats what one at a time.

Please add in an expanded view of whats already implemented asap.

Thank you.

JoanneW
Visitor
2 0 0

This is how i envision it too, and option of expanded or condensed view (and the ability to set all orders as either option rather than a clicking to expand each individually and it be temporary)

Sophia
Shopify Staff
1666 108 217

Thank you for sharing this example! I appreciate the idea of different display options, as the preferences for each business likely differ. I've passed this feedback along to our developers.

PawelSekula
Tourist
4 0 2

We're forever in your debt, Sophia. After all, it's only been a short 4 years since you've been 'relaying our precious feedback to the developers'.
Keep fighting – perhaps in this century, they'll muster up the energy to roll out that tiny fix, which, no doubt, demands an overhaul of the entire system. A hearty thanks once more – we're profoundly grateful to you and Shopify for lending an ear to the whims of those faithfully pouring money into their subscriptions.

rmk-mkr
Visitor
2 0 0

Hello, with "Order printer app" you can resolve this issue...I will paste the code bellow. In the Order Printer app, you will have to make new template. after this, in orders page, check the orders that you need - Print with order page, select the new template, this will show you the product thumbnails, title, pcs and price. Hope this will help. 

<table class="table-tabular" style="margin: 0 0 1.5em 0;">
<thead>

</thead>
<tbody>

{% for line_item in line_items %}
<tr>
<td>{{ line_item.product.featured_image | product_img_url: 'thumb' | img_tag }}</td>
<td>{{ line_item.quantity }} x</td>
<td><b>{{ line_item.title }}</b></td>
{% if show_line_item_taxes %}
<td>
{% for tax_line in line_item.tax_lines %}
{{ tax_line.price | money }} {{ tax_line.title }}<br/>
{% endfor %}
</td>
{% endif %}
<td>
{% if line_item.original_price != line_item.price %}
<s>{{ line_item.original_price | money }}</s>