Why are some products missing from my Shopify order export?

JunieMoon_
Visitor
2 0 0

Hello. I’m just 8 weeks in to a new Shopify site. I’m coming from Magento 1. I’m processing about 500 orders a week with multiple items in each week.

I have to export the full orders to format the data for our Japanese shipping warehouse. When exporting the data it drops some items from some orders randomly, causing us to miss items in shipping. This means upset customer and additional shipping cost we have to eat due to this error.

I’m using the export function from the order list page.

Any advice?

Replies 5 (5)

Olivia
Shopify Staff
1695 146 302

Hi, @JunieMoon_!

Welcome to Shopify Community. My name is Olivia and I work here.

I'd be more than glad to help you further troubleshoot this today. Order exports contain a tone of useful information, so I can definitely appreciate how frustrating it is to find some of your items are missing. 

Shopify can accommodate large numbers of data exports, and based on the 500 orders per week quantity you shared, that shouldn't be an issue. One current limitation of order exports is that order edits are not accounted for. To help us narrow down the issue, can you confirm:

• How many line items are in your order exports (is it less than 9000)?
  • Are the missing items from orders that were edited?

While we wait to gather that information from you, consider using a third-party app like EZ Exporter as a workaround. Based on the workflow you described, this might suit your needs very well.

I look forward to your reply,

Olivia | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

JunieMoon_
Visitor
2 0 0

Thank you for your response. The orders that were missing the full data had not been edited before they were exported. The exported order data was not complete, so there was missing items in the data associated with the order.

Olivia
Shopify Staff
1695 146 302

Hey, @JunieMoon_.

I'm so glad to hear back from you. Thanks for clarifying that the missing items are not from edited orders.

From the sounds of it, perhaps all orders after a certain date/point were missing from the export, or are they randomized dates? Also, you haven't shared how large the export was - can you please clarify how many line items were on your last export?

Warm regards,

DanielaD
Visitor
1 0 0

On this same subject I have a few questions. Is there a limited number of order per export? We are finding that some orders are dropping off. Also, when we edit an order to remove items, those items still come across on the export as fulfillable. Is this going to be corrected? Currently there is no way to differentiate the removed items from those that are fulfillable. 

Thank you.

Olivia
Shopify Staff
1695 146 302

Hey, @DanielaD.

Welcome to Shopify Community and thanks for joining our thread.

I briefly touched on your questions in my last post, but to further clarify:

1. There is a 9000 line item limit
  2. Edited orders are not accounted for in order exports

In the meantime, you can use the EZ Exporter app as an alternative to these limitations. 

Let me know if you have further questions,