Out of Stock items - button for customers to say they want it

YorkshireBonsai
Tourist
3 0 1

Hi

Not sure if this is right section for this but I can't find an answer to this question through the search.

Is it possible to have a very simple button on my product pages, for out of stock items, that says something along the lines of "Poke the website, I want this" ?

I don't want to have to capture the user's email or anything like that, as I feel that puts customers off, just something really quick and easy for customers to highlight that they want an out of stock item. Then if this could show somewhere in the Shopify admin I can see which out of stock products are most wanted.

Perhaps there's a feature that already does this, but if there is I haven't seen it.

Thanks

Replies 6 (6)

JoesIdeas
Shopify Expert
2222 202 592

I've been using Now Back in Stock for a few years, it's great at automatically catching out of stock / restock sales.

I haven't seen an app that just gives a notification if someone wants an out of stock item.

It's doable by building a custom app (my team can do this for you if you'd like), but I'd recommend giving a try to collect emails. It's optional and it just replaces the add to cart button, so it's not off putting from a UX perspective.... and customers want this, I've seen it first hand, the store I use this on gets lots of email signups from out of stock items, then when it's back in stock it automatically notifies the customer that "hey good news the item you wanted to purchase is now back in stock, check it out here".

• Creator of Order Automator (automate tagging, fulfillment, Amazon, notifications + more)
• Shopify developer for 10+ years, store owner for 7 years
• I also make guides like Shopify Automation Tips and How to Deal with Fraud / Chargebacks
YorkshireBonsai
Tourist
3 0 1

Hi JoesIdeas

I'll have a look at that app and will consider capturing the customer's email too. I do feel there is a layer of reluctance though, when it comes to a percentage of users, of having to put your email address in on a strange site. It might not put everyone off but I think it will some.

Thanks for your ideas

Dan

Luna
Shopify Staff
712 67 108

Hi, @YorkshireBonsai

Luna here, from Shopify. Thanks for posting your question in our Community forums. I can definitely see the value in collecting data for your most desired out-of-stock products.  

As of now, we don’t have that feature available innately. However, I have found an app that can help you achieve this! 

• Back in Stock - Restock Notify: Using this app, customers can send a notification to let you know that they are interested in your out-of-stock product. This app has the ability to collect the customer's email. As you don’t want to collect an email, I suggest reaching out directly to their support team to see if you can customize this option, as often they are able to help. You can reach out through the Get Support option displayed on the app store here. In the meantime, if you decide to collect the customer's email then you can send them restock notifications right through the app. 

Based on what you have shared, you could also consider hiring a Shopify Expert to help you make this customization on your theme. I suggest browsing the list of Experts that specialize in custom apps and integrations.

I will also certainly pass this up as a feature request to our products team as it is a great idea that a lot of people would benefit from. At Shopify, we pride ourselves on the continued growth and development of our platform, and your feedback helps us to acomplish this. 

How has everything been going so far with your business? If there is anything else I can help with please let me know! 

Luna | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

YorkshireBonsai
Tourist
3 0 1

Hi Luna

Thanks for this. I'll have a look at that app too. It's not that I don't want to collect the customer's email - that would be ideal - I just think there are a good chunk of users who don't like sharing their email addresses lightly. As a shopper, I'm like that myself. I'm wary of giving unknown websites my email address as I know I'm probably opening myself up to future unwanted mails. It would be great for those customers who don't want to give their email to just have a quick and easy way of highlighting their interest in a product.

As for the business, it's going really well so far. It's new but I can't believe how quickly the site has started to take orders - and they've been regular ever since the first.

Long way to go and lots more work to do but early signs are great!

Thanks

Dan

Luna
Shopify Staff
712 67 108

Hey there, @YorkshireBonsai

Thanks for getting back to me! I'm so happy I was able to provide some value. I'm also excited to hear that everything has been going well with business. Sounds like you're off to a fantastic start! If you have any other questions, we're always happy to help. 

All the best, 

Luna | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

gudes
Tourist
3 0 1

Hey Dan, 
Did you ever find a solution for this? I would love to do something similar without collecting emails.