Overall Product Structure Recommendation

1 0 1

Hello! 

We are migrating our Magento 2 site (www.raintreenursery.com) to our new Shopify Site and with over 1000 products on our site, I am trying to decide the best way to structure our products. We are using the Empire theme on our new Shopify store.

We have a lot of categories, and I'm not sure what I should have for my Collection/Group/Tags. Please look at our current site to see how we currently do it and let me know your advice on how to translate this to Shopify.

For instance, for our Einset Grape product on our current site the structure goes like this:

Vines > Grapes> Einset Seedless Grape (and inside the Grape category we have tags like growing zone, seedless yes or no, etc.)

Should I make Vines the collection, then create groups inside that for Grapes, Hops, etc?

Another example would be our Lapins Cherry

Right now we have it split by:

Fruit Trees > Cherries > then 2 category pages, one for Sweet Cherries and one for Tart Cherries > Lapins Cherry

The problem with this is that if we do Fruit Trees as a collection page, we need the Cherries page and the Sweet and Tart cherries page to have space at the top of the page for some text telling customers which tree might work for them. Go to our current site and follow your way to the Lapins Cherry and look at the top of the category pages along the way, it will make more sense.

Anybody have any advice on this? Thanks again so much!

1 Like
Highlighted
Hey! So forgive me, I'm on mobile.
I too offer trees and shrubs on my website.

The best way that works for me is
Collections:
Trees
Shrubs
Vines
Evergreens
Tags:
Fruit
Apple, Cherry, apricot, etc
Zones
Low light, bright light, direct light, etc
Deer resistant
Tap root
Surface root
Self pollinating
(That's not all but should give you an idea what I'm going for)

Then I have my menu broken up like you do.

Menu (m):
Trees
Sub menus (sm) under that
SM:
edible +
(Ssm)
Cherry
Pear
Apple
Etc
(/Ssm)
Evergreen
Shade
Sun

The Sub menus and sub Sub menus are all organized using tags, the main menu items are organized by collections.

Your can't see an example in my site right now due to the season where I live, we don't sell trees right now.
Sorry for the shit formatting, again, on mobile.
1 year e-commerce, 7 years B&M store. www.shopbraeheid.com
0 Likes