POD - Canadian Store - US Business

2 0 1

Hey Everyone.

I currently reside in Canada. Since the best POD suppliers are from the US can I change my currency to US even though i live in Canada and deal with the US suppliers?

I notice that the shipping provider defaults to your shipping address that is setup in shopify, therefore my cart is displaying shipping rates as per Canada Post. Since my items will actually be shipping from the US from the supplier directly to the customer, can i change this to get the US shipping rates, even though in the backend I'm Canadian?

Thanks

0 Likes
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
524 1 72

Hey, Rhyan!

My name is Alex, I'm a guru here at Shopify!

Absolutely, you can!  The currency you're working with and the shipping origin are two different steps, so we'll handle them one by one!

If you're using Shopify Payments, to switch over to USD you'll head in your admin to Settings > Payments and deactivate the Shopify Payments gateway.  Then, head to Settings > General.  The option to change the currency, which is locked down while Payments is active, will now be changeable!  Switch that over to USD and head back to Settings > Payments, and reactivate Shopify Payments - you'll go through the account setup process again.  When you're entering your bank account info, make sure that you use a full USD denominated checking account with a Canadian or American financial institution - USD payouts won't work if you've got a 'flex currency' account that handles both, or a money transferring service that mimics a bank account like Payoneer.  Once done, you're all set up to sell in USD!

Changing your shipping origin can be done in your admin at Settings > Shipping.  It does default to your address set in your General Settings, but you're free to change that over to a more accurate shipping origin - click on "Edit address" in the upper right of the "Shipping from" box, and you'll start seeing those USPS rates!

Hope that's helped!  Please feel free to give us a call or start a live chat at any time, we're open 24/7 for your convenience and always happy to assist!

Cheers,

Alex | Shopify Guru

0 Likes
Highlighted
Excursionist
449 1 7

The answer has been provided pretty well by Alex. However, your question at one point talks about 'Suppliers'. If you have more than one supplier from USA and you want to ship based on any factor like product type, weight, total order cost, etc, you can use the Multi Carrier Shipping label app. With this app, you can easily define multiple 'Ship from' addresses so that your suppliers can ship using those addresses.

0 Likes