Can you use Shopify POS without a card reader at a craft fair?

Christina4
Excursionist
31 2 4

I was asked to be a guest vendor at a local craft fair. In less than a week. I just downloaded the POS app, but there is no way I will get a card reader in time (1-3 days to process then up to 5 days shipping). Should I bother to learn how to use the POS app just for this craft fair?

I also thought I could just do cash, and have people use their own phone to place an online order on the spot if they want to use a card. Any advice is appreciated!!

Replies 6 (6)

Olivia
Shopify Staff
1695 146 302

Hey, @Christina4!

Olivia here from the Shopify team. Thank you for your question.

Being invited to be a guest vendor at a local craft fair is so exciting - congratulations! While you're correct that you likely won't get a card reader in time for the event with it being less than a week away, the Shopify POS app will still be an asset for the event. Using the Shopify POS app will allow you to do inventory management and keep track of your orders and payments while selling in person.

You have a few great ideas and I'll provide you with some resources to learn more about actioning them below. I'll also add some more thoughts I have on how to get the most out of Shopify POS without a card reader. 

Accepting cash with Shopify POS

1. When selling in person, cash payments are enabled by default.
  2. When you accept a cash payment, Shopify calculates the change and tracks the amount of cash in the cash drawer.
    Here's a document in our Help Center with some more information on accepting cash payments via Shopify POS.

Manually enter credit card details with Shopify POS

Another option for accepting card payments without a card reader is manually entering the credit card information from a customer. If you don't have a card reader, or if you do end up getting one but are ever having trouble with it in the future, then you can enter credit card details manually to take payment. We have some steps on how to accept manual credit payments in this Help Doc.

Make it easier to order online

I like your idea of also giving customers the option to pay on your website on their phone since mobile checkouts can be quite quick and efficient. If you plan to suggest this as an option to your customers, I recommend setting up a temporary free shipping rate called something along the lines of "Craft Fair Pickup", or perhaps enabling local pickup for online orders.

Feel free to reply back here if you have any further questions regarding using Shopify POS with or without a card reader. I hope the event is a great success!

Warm regards,

Olivia | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

Christina4
Excursionist
31 2 4

Thank you Olivia! I will practice using the app so I can use these 2 methods this weekend, thank you!

Olivia
Shopify Staff
1695 146 302

That sounds awesome, @Christina4!

I'm so glad we could help. If anything else comes up don't hesitate to reconnect with our team.

Warm regards,

BoldtPineHaven
Visitor
2 0 0

What is the Credit Card rate for manually entering credit cards on The Shopify POS App? I currently pay 2.9% via the website when people are not in-person with me. I will also not be getting a card reader in-time for an event that I want to accept CC at. Thanks!!

Olivia
Shopify Staff
1695 146 302

Hi, @BoldtPineHaven!

Thanks for reaching out with your question.

The fee for manual credit card payments are the same as online store credit card rates - being 2.9% + $.30 on the Basic Plan as per our pricing page

With that being said, you do enjoy other benefits such as lower rates with present card transactions using the POS (in comparison it is 2.7% + $.0 on the same plan). To make sure you have what you need going forward, let me know if you have questions about hardware or chip readers for future events.

Warm regards,

Olivia
Shopify Staff
1695 146 302

Hi again, @BoldtPineHaven.

I just wanted to check in and see if your event is over and if it was successful. I also want to make sure you are supported going forward, so please check in with me to share what worked and what you're looking to improve for selling in person in the future.

I look forward to your reply,