Package Shipping

Highlighted
3 0 0

I have created a unique box of 12 for the product we are shipping. I've added dimensions and weight and set up the shipping to charge flat UPS rates. The issue is that when an order comes in for more than 1 box, it only charges for one box so we end up paying shipping on the other boxes. We only ship in full cases of 12. How can I get Shopify to recognize so that it charges a box for every 12?

0 Likes
Highlighted
Community Moderator
Community Moderator
3063 229 499

Hi @wayne2127,

Nick here from Shopify. Great question! 

I'm wondering if it would be worth looking into calculated shipping rates as you are using UPS rather than a flat rate based on the weight of the products. Calculated shipping rates are determined at checkout by a third-party shipping service based on the details of the order. This helps you charge your customers the exact amount that a shipping carrier, such as UPS, will charge you when you purchase a shipping label. You can read more about calculated shipping rates here. This would mean the carrier (in this case UPS) would calculate the shipping at the checkout for each purchase and recognize there are multiple products being purchased and charge the shipping accordingly. 

Shopify also has a guide going through the steps of how to connect your UPS account to your store which might also be u.... You can see that here as well as a more generic guide on Third-party carrier-calculated rates here

Do you think this is something which could work for you? Let me know.

All the best, Nick

Nick | Community Moderator @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
Highlighted
3 0 0
Nick,
I have done all of that. I added a variant to the item, weight, and made it 4 lbs. I just tested it by trying to purchase 2 cases and it still only charges for 1. How do I get the system to recognize that 2 is 2 boxes, 3 is 3 boxes, etc. so that each box is charged through UPS?

Wayne
0 Likes
Highlighted
Community Moderator
Community Moderator
3063 229 499

Hi @wayne2127,

When you say you've done all that, just to confirm did you connect UPS to your store to get calculated rates or do you mean setting up the fixed rates with weight? If you could link your store for me to check this out it would be greatly appreciated and I can take a closer look. 

0 Likes
Highlighted
3 0 0

Nick,

I set up the option of UPS Ground only. We are using calculated rates. How do I link the store so you can see?

Wayne

0 Likes
Highlighted

Hey @wayne2127,

Shopify only sends off 1 box size for live rate calculations, unfortunately. You can create 1 'default' box size that always gets sent off to your carrier, and regardless of how many items are in the cart, it will always assume the items can fit within the 1 box. 

You can get the accuracy you need with Intuitive Shipping. Once you get set up, the app will send off the correct number of box sizes to UPS so you are charging accurate live rates at checkout. As your shipping needs evolve, the app will grow with you - it's essentially a sandbox that can cover any type of setup you can imagine. 

Warm regards,
Sharon 

Co-Founder / CEO @ Intuitive Shipping
Execute a strategic approach to shipping | Intuitive Shipping | Automate Shipping Profiles
0 Likes
Highlighted
Community Moderator
Community Moderator
3063 229 499

Thanks for getting back to me @wayne2127

I think the best next step might be to see if an app can help do what you need if native calculated rates don't work for you. The app @SharonReeds mentions is a great option as well as the Better Shipping app. Do you feel these could do what you need? 

0 Likes