Page preview environment prior to pushing live

2 0 1

Is there no way, besides creating a secondary site, to test pages before pushing them live? I need to create new promotional or informative pages each week and have them signed off from different business units, from creative to copy to functionality, prior to going live. Why isn't there a "Preview" function before the page is pushed live? 

Only other way I can think of currently is to password protect a hidden page on the site, then granting certain people access to that page. Just seems a little odd to me that Shopify wouldn't have this kind of functionality inherent in their platform. It's a basic development feature.   

Anyone else have a solution?

1 Like
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
555 36 77
Hey, there. 

This's Dallas from the Social Care Team. 

I'm so happy to say that there's actually a way better option for you to try out new theme features rather than making an entirely new store. In the Themes page of your Store Admin, you're actually able to make copies of your current theme. Or really of any theme for that matter. Just click on Action > Duplicate Theme and voila! 
05-01-ysd9f-lmyz6

Once you make a duplication you will have all of your current customizations laid out like your live site. The only difference here will be that this version isn't published. 

After you have tested all the things you need to change or want to try out, then you can click on the Actions button again and click Publish

05-03-o51ie-yaz6c

This'll switch the newly edited theme to be the one that's then seen by the public and the one that was the original will be moved down the line. 

After you've switched the publicity I suggest you delete the original so don't get confused as time goes on. 

Is this making sense and after trying it out does this do what you are wanting it to do? Please let me know if I can assist further. 

Best,

Dallas | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
2 0 1
Yes but this is only shareable with users registered or that can log into the Shopify account, correct? I don’t want everyone having access to Shopify, I simply want to show stakeholders a dev page and get buy off.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
555 36 77

If you're referring to any theme customizations, like fonts or colors, that you'd do on the duplicate theme then no your customers wouldn't see those. If you have made any adjustment to Pages (Online Store > Pages) and added them to your Menu (Online Store > Navigation)  or have added any new Products to your account then your customers would see those. 

In short, you can summarize it to, any changes in your Store Admin will be seen, but any changes to your Theme Customizer won't be.

However, from what I'm getting from the last sentence of your reply, it seems like you're wanting to create a separate section for stakeholders to buy from. Almost like a section that could only be seen if you have an account. Is that more along the lines of what you're looking for? 

Please let me know,

Dallas | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes