Partial Refund for a customer who forgot to apply a discount

Highlighted
Tourist
7 0 1

We have a customer who bought one item on our store but forgot to apply our 10% discount code. Is it possible to refund that 10% to that customer on shopify?

Thanks 

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
156 0 16

Hi Shannon,

My name is Ciarán, I'm a Shopify Support Guru.

Yes you can certainly partially refund a customer. It's done through the admin and we have a guide here explaining how it's done:

Essentially you'll work out how much the 10% discount should have been, and you'll refund the customer that amount. Does that work for you? 

If you have an issues with the process let me know!

All the best,

Ciarán H | Shopify Guru

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
22 0 2

Just to add that it depends of course whether you have an outsourced payment provider or not. Our payments are managed by a secure payment gateway and we would not be able to do it via shopify only. So make sure you refund the 10% in the relevant system.

Executive Assistant and SEO Professional at Song of Jewellery
0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
11 0 1

I followed these steps and it refunded the correct amount to the customer, but the order shows as complete now. I still need to ship and everything. How can I change this?

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
16 0 2

In the order under Fulfillments, click the More dropdown and select 'Cancel fulfillment'.

0 Likes
Highlighted
1 0 1

Howdy, this explanation does not work in the case of an order with only one item, where a discount code did not work and I want to refund, for example, $20 on a $100 order that is pending.  I do not want to reduce the order quantity (one item), and do not want to change the fulfillment (I will make and ship the order in a few days) -- all I want to do is give the customer back $20 of the $100 they sent me.....

1 Like