PayPal Multi-Currency Checkout Issue

Highlighted
3 0 1

Hello,

I am using both Shopify Payments and Paypal.

In Shopify Payments set-up, I accept multiple currencies for my customers.

My shop default currency is USD When a user chooses GBP for example, checkout through Shopify Payment goes well until payment completion when you pay by CC.

However, for Paypal Checkout Express, if the user selects GBP in my shop, the amount he will be asked to pay at Paypal checkout is in USD. Could you please help me correct this so Paypal currency asked to my customer is the same that he selected in my shop, and not only my default currency (USD) ?

Currently, if a customer selects to pay in GBP on our store the price will be converted once by shopify on the store and then back in USD by PayPal which have very high conversion fees and the price shown differs at checkout from what they saw on Shopify. This means the price is up by about 5-6%.

I have been trying to use tons of apps to fix this but it doesn't work.

Any ideas?

Thanks. Ben

1 Like
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
16 1 6

Hey Ben,

This is a known limitation of the multi-currency for Shopify Payments product. We are exploring solutions so that buyers can have a consistent experience between credit cards and Paypal.

Product Lead, Cross border commerce
1 Like
Highlighted
3 0 1

Hello,

Thanks for your reply!
Is there a way to integrate Braintree for Paypal multi currency checkout only? I have hear this could be a solution. 

Thanks

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
16 1 6
Multi-currency is only supported by Shopify Payments now. We are aware of
the need to improve the PayPal experience and are looking for solutions.
Product Lead, Cross border commerce
0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
4 0 6

Is there any progress on this issue?

I would like to switch to Shopify Payments but I won't until this issue has a solution.

thanks

Jackie

1 Like
Highlighted
Tourist
4 0 2

Same issue here. This is a fairly significant break in the multi-currency experience as so many people like using Paypal.

2 Likes
Highlighted
2 0 2

same here... more than 70% of our customers use Paypal

Beside Paypal, Stripe and other payment providers are a must as well.

1 Like
Highlighted
2 0 3

I was a bit shocked about this limitation. I am new here and of course you do not find out these things before you go live and then receive customer complaints.

If Shopify wants to be a serious international player - and it should as it is a brilliant product - then many small businesses are hereby given the international reach but not quite with all of the tools.

Another weakness of Shopify Pay is the inability for a customer to be able to receive payouts in multiple currencies. This is pretty basic stuff. I realise they make money on exchange rates but unless this changes then I will have no operational choice but to move from Shopify Pay with it's excellent integrations and move to a third party app that can handle multi currency accounts. Shopify - please just run it through Adyen or the like - a turnkey solution. 

3 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
4 0 1

You should be ashamed of yourself. All the money you are getting from your clients and you are not even able to offer a damn multi currency checkout.

This is garbage. Shopify is a joke. 

Almost 2 months further and you did not even one step to solve this problem.

PEOPLE: if you are looking for a webshop provide who is able to checkout multi currency the way to go is wordpress + woocommerce. Till shopify fix this this you will only lose your time and clients using their webshop platform.

0 Likes
Highlighted
2 0 3
This would seem an over reaction. There are other payment providers that
can be used that do not exhibit this issue. To throw out a whole suite of
software on the basis of this point would not be a balanced view.
0 Likes