Payment couldn't be processed

Highlighted
2 0 2
Hello there everyone. My 14 day trial expired and had to select a plan. I chose the basic shopify plan and chose the billing cycle option to be monthly. I tried using both the credit card and PayPal as methods of payment but it didn't work. When I clicked the start plan button I keep on getting a message saying "payment couldn't be processed". Please assist me in this matter.
1 Like
Highlighted
2 0 0

Hi I've been trying to test out my cart checkout actual using a 99% discount coupon to actually purchase from my store, and to test out my supplier shipping days. 

Thing is paypal and other third party payment gateway is returning error when I click complete order

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
1234 76 269

Hi, @Steezify-Store

I'm sorry to hear that you are having issues with paying for your monthly subscription. It sounds like there might be an issue with both payment methods you're attempting to use, so we'll dive into a few things to check that can help resolve this. 

• If you're paying by Paypal, and you're not successful, then you'll need to contact Paypal Support as they can provide insight into why the charge was declined. 
  • If paying by credit card: 
    • Ensure you have sufficient funds - Shopify charges in USD, and if you're outside of the United States, then you'll want to ensure your balance covers the conversion amount 
    • You'll need to be using a valid credit card issued by a bank, with a line of credit. Debit card with credit card capabilities are not supported by our system and often cause errors when attempting to pay for the monthly subscription. 
    • If you have the funds and using a valid credit card, then reaching out to your bank will be the next best step as they can provide insight into why the charge was rejected. 

If you've reached out to Paypal or the methods mentioned above don't work for a credit card, please let me know as I can authenticate your account to review it further. 

@brianpatricklu 

If you are testing the checkout with the same Paypal account as the Paypal account you have attached in Settings/Payment Providers, then Paypal will reject the order. Paypal does not allow you to purchase goods from your own store. You will need to use a different Paypal account, or you can follow our help doc here on how to create a test order as both methods will help you test the checkout process. 

Peter | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution

To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

1 Like
Highlighted
2 0 2
@Peter thank you very much for the help. I will try all those solutions you've recommended. If i encounter any problems I'll surely let you know
1 Like
Highlighted
1 0 0

Hi Peter,

So my payment couldn't be processing, im trying to pay through my paypal account that is connected with my own bank account. But it will not let me choose a basic subscription. Hopefully you can help me so i can grow.

Thnx for your answer!

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
1234 76 269

@daangortz 

If you're paying through Paypal and receiving an error, then you will want to reach out to Paypal Support as we would be unable to troubleshoot the error you're seeing. Alternatively, you can use a credit card to pay for the monthly subscription. 

0 Likes
Highlighted
1 0 0

Hi, I originally used a debit card with credit card capabilities to pay for my chosen Shopify plan but it was declined. I then tried using Paypal to make the payment work but was declined as well. Now I want to use my credit card but I can't proceed with the transaction because of too many attempts. What's the solution to this? I hope you can assist me. Thanks.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
1234 76 269

@NikkiFox 

If you see the "too many attempts" error, then the system has temporarily blocked your IP. Typically, the error will clear within 24 hours. However, if you attempt to process a charge within 24 hours, then it will reset the timer and require that you wait another 24 hours. Once 24 hours has passed, you should be good to go with processing the payment via Paypal. 

When paying via Visa/Mastercard Debit cards, or credit cards, you'll want to ensure that the card meets the requirements.  

• Must be a postpaid credit card (pre-paid cards are not supported, but may work, see below explanation)
  • If it is a cobranded credit/debit card, it must be cobranded with a credit card type that we accept (Visa, Mastercard, Amex)
  • Must be a Visa, Mastercard or Amex
  • Must be capable of accepting charges in USD
  • Must be capable of making online purchases
  • Must be capable of accepting recurring billing
  • Must have appropriate funds available
  • Must enter the billing address and details the same as what your bank has on file
  • Must not have a restriction on how much the bank will allow being processed at once

You'll want to contact your bank for further details on if your card can support these types of payments. 

Let me know if you run into any other issues!

0 Likes