Paypal Button On Checkout

Highlighted
Tourist
3 0 1

I really dont need to go into detail here as to how confusing it is for customers to find this button on the checkout page and how it loses sales. That and the fact it enables customers to skip out on shipping fees.

So in short, whatever deal that was made with Paypal and you (Shopify) to put them to the "front of the line" of payment methods only does the opposite of the sought out result...I removed Paypal all together.

This whole Paypal button on the Checkout page has only confused customers and enabled ppl to skip shipping fees and truly when business engage in deals like these they are trashy.

Good bye Paypal, you get no sales generated from my company.

0 Likes
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
184 0 10

Hi Janice, 

I'm not sure if you mean the same PayPal button I'm thinking of, but you can remove the "Checkout with PayPal" icon that's in the cart by default. This way the customer has to go to checkout to choose a payment method and PayPal will be the second option. 

Choosing PayPal as a payment method won't allow the customer to skip shipping rates so there might be something else going on there. I have sent you an e-mail in case you want to try using PayPal again. I can remove the PayPal icon from the cart page and also take a closer look at those shipping rates :)

Hope this helps!

0 Likes
Excursionist
53 0 12

Hi Yasmin,

I think that Janice may be referring to the button at the top of page 1 of checkout. Not the optional button on the cart page.

There are many previous posts on the subject and I pasted a jpeg myself before I got the code to remove it.  The button to express paypal payment allowed customers to bypass entering all info - such as contact details, discount codes and they didn't see shipping rates.

I'm trying to find out if the checkout 'upgrade' being imposed on July 1st puts the button back at the top of checkout - and more importantly, if we will no longer be able to use it. In which case I, like Janice, will drop using paypal completely. 

If any merchants upgraded to the new checkout recently I would love to hear if the button is there or not. Thanks

1 Like
45 0 0

Hey Donna,

How did you remove the Paypal button from checkout. Been trying to do it with no luck only found one buggy way.

0 Likes
Excursionist
68 0 9

I got tired of messing around with all of this and finally just took PayPal off completely.  Seems like a very bad solution (to a problem that shouldn't exist in the first place) but what do you do?

Happy to hear that there is at least a remote possiblity that they will be changing this on July 1.

0 Likes
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
184 0 10

Hi guys!

It's not currently possible to remove the PayPal icon from both the cart and checkout pages, but that shouldn't allow the customer to bypass entering any information. Please contact our support team if this happens so we can take a closer look: https://support.shopify.com/

At this point we don't know if the ability to remove those icons will be implemented but I'm going to submit a feature request. I appreciate the feedback, we will let you know if there are any changes! 

0 Likes
Excursionist
53 0 12

Hi Lee,

I removed the ugly paypal button from the start of checkout with a code that was on the forum. However, I believe that most merchants are on a new checkout that doesn't allow it to be removed (Shopify and Paypal have an agreement to keep it at the top even though it doesn't make any sense and damages the checkout flow). We are notified that by July 1st all merchants have to use this new checkout. So I'm going to stop taking paypal payments then. Currently removing all mention of paypal from my store in preparation. Big shame that I won't be able to offer Paypal as a payment option anymore (approx 45% of customers use it) -but there is no way I'm having that 1990's ugly button at the top of my checkout encouraging customers to bypass shipping info/discount code and billing address.

1 Like
Excursionist
68 0 9

I believe that the only way this will change is if a huge amount of merchants drop PP.  That is the only way PP would have the incentive to change their agreement with Shopify.

And Shopify has the incentive to have people drop PP, for obvious reasons. Kind of a lose-lose situation for the merchants (we lose with it on because it makes check out so bad, and we lose if we take it off because there are still a lot of people that like to pay with it.

0 Likes
Shopify Partner
202 0 4

Hi all - we havea clean, safe way to remove the PayPal button from the checkout - giving people the option to pay using PayPal only after shipping has been added. It works with all themes but does need to be customized a bit depending on what app's are installed.

Hit us up at projects@whitewatersolutions.com if you need a hand.

Cheers!

WhiteWater Web

A certified Shopify Partner and Expert, WhiteWater Web (WWW) is a premium digital solutions company specializing in web dev/design, digital marketing, and online strategy.
0 Likes
Tourist
25 0 2

The proper way to do it is to use PayPal Pro not PayPal Express as the former is a payment method not an alternative checkout. That will stop you using Shopify Payments though.

If you think about the functionality of an alternative checkout removing the button from the start of the flow makes absolutely no sense and is against the PayPal Express use agreement in principle.

There is a very easy way to disable the PayPal express button that works without scripts and will work with all add-ons etc and was suggested by a Shopify employee as well. It's easy to find with a search on the forum. I would post a link but every time I post a link it blocks my account.

0 Likes