Permanently Delete Tags From Shopify

vedgeco
Visitor
2 0 3

There are tags that have been created through months of work but are no longer in use. I'd like to delete them completely so that they don't show up as an option entirely. 

Most forums, I'm only seeing a way to delete them from the product specifically. Anyway to fix this? 

Replies 9 (9)

Danishecom
Trailblazer
242 6 23

@vedgeco use this method which is mention in the below image please like and mark it as an accepted solution if it worked for you. thank you

tag.PNG

banned
Mad_Modeler
Pathfinder
183 2 33

That removes all tags, he may not want to remove them all

Danishecom
Trailblazer
242 6 23

when you click on remove tag it will pop up tags then select a tag you want to remove so it will remove the specific tag. 

banned
Mad_Modeler
Pathfinder
183 2 33

That still involves doing it to each product, the OP is looking for a quicker and easier solution, that isn't it.

Using a CSV file, he can use find and replace in the "Tags" column, and delete every instance with the click of mouse button, much less labour-intensive than your solution.

vedgeco
Visitor
2 0 3

So I've been able to remove the individual tag from the product page but I'd like to remove the tag entirely off shopify so that it doesn't present itself as an option - is that makes sense? 

Mad_Modeler
Pathfinder
183 2 33

To remove it from Shopify you need to remove all instances of it, the only way I know of to do that is by editing the CSV file, as I explained up there ^^

Karstonwilliams
Visitor
2 0 0

and how do you open the CSV file?

Mad_Modeler
Pathfinder
183 2 33

You need to download the file from your back office.

Then open it for editing in a spreadsheet program like Excel (Expensive) of Libre Office (free)

https://www.libreoffice.org/download/download/

Mad_Modeler
Pathfinder
183 2 33

You can download your product file as a CSV and go through them that way.

Whichever way you choose it is going to be labour-intensive, at least with a CSV file you can search for the offending tags to find them quicker.