Pick up option

Highlighted
Tourist
7 0 2

How do I create a pick up option during checkout, for my local customers, instead of actually shipping the package to them?  Thank you!

0 Likes
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
150 0 12

Hi, Melissa.

This is Martha from the Shopify Guru Team.

One of the easiest ways to make a shipping rate for local pick up or pick up in-store is to create a new manual rate within the relevant Zone

Learn more about Manual Rates here, and review the method for creating a Price-based rate here.

Usually, adding a Price-based rate is the simplest solution. This means, going to Settings > Shipping and clicking Edit beside the relevant Zone!

• Choose Add rate,
  • enter in the Name
  • and price Range (something like min $0, max $no limit)
  • and then Save!

You'll want to choose a title that would make sense to your customers at the checkout stage. So, if they live locally they can know pick up is an option, and if they are not local, they won't choose the free rate.

If you have any further questions or need some clarification, please feel free to reach out to us again.

Cheers, 
Martha 

1 Like
1 0 0

Hello, we are working to set up a selection for "Onsite Pick-up" in shipping options at checkout. 

But, we don't want these pickup orders being added to the fulfillment queue or pulling from any inventory with our partners.

We want all pickup inventory to be pulled from a different location that we manage at our office (already set up in locations).

How do we set this up properly?

0 Likes
Shopify Partner
11 0 0

Hey @therealrd

The following help guide will provide you with further information on how to manage locations and how to fulfil orders from different locations:

https://help.shopify.com/en/manual/locations/managing-orders

Depending on how many orders you have online, you can change the location the "click & collect" are fulfilled at. If you have a lot of orders and doing his manually is not feasible, you could look at automation apps to do such actions. 

Let me know if you have any further questions. 

Shopify Consultant
0 Likes
Excursionist
11 0 15

Just an FYI to anyone out there. This is not a good method. As it is a Free shipping method it defaults to the top of the shipping options. Customers Choose it because its free and because they don't check. In addition to that Shopify still asks for their shipping address to add to the confusion. I have tried this and get countless orders with customers at the other side of the country choosing it thinking it will get shipped to them. It creates a bad experience for the customer. You would think  simple store pickup option would be coded into shopify but I guess they want you to pay the $30 a month to add it on via an app.

9 Likes
Shopify Partner
10 0 1

Hi Liam,

I just want to jump in here on Shopify's behalf-- they don't do this to soak their customers, but rather to support the app developer community and help keep us in business and building apps that extend Shopify's functionality. If you have a Shopify Plus account, you can develop the customer pick-up option yourself (which is totally doable and not TERRIBLY difficult), but it is going to require some coding in your theme. I definitely recommend this e-book (about $30) that contains step-by-step instructions on how to do so (and is a generally great addition to anyone's Shopify library).

Good luck!

0 Likes
Shopify Partner
10 0 1

Hi Liam,

I just want to jump in here on Shopify's behalf-- they don't do this to soak their customers, but rather to support the app developer community and help keep us in business and building apps that extend Shopify's functionality. If you have a Shopify Plus account, you can develop the customer pick-up option yourself (which is totally doable and not TERRIBLY difficult), but it is going to require some coding in your theme. I definitely recommend this e-book (about $30) that contains step-by-step instructions on how to do so (and is a generally great addition to anyone's Shopify library).

Good luck!

0 Likes
Explorer
50 0 27

Sorry, digital-vape, but I have to agree with Liam here. We had the exact same problems he did and ultimately had to do away with the store pickup option. This could be handled very easily by allowing shop owners to choose a default shipping option or to re-order the shipping options, either of which would be simple to code with a setup option and basic CSS, but because the bulk of the checkout process is not editable by the end user it will require scripting to get it to work, and for most shop owners, yeah, that is "TERRIBLY difficult."

I tend to agree that the "solution" of using apps to fix problems that should be included in Shopify's basic functionality isn't any solution at all. Don't get me wrong: I am enjoying the flexibility I have with the platform and would not go back to our old web store no matter what you offered me. But with very few exceptions, most inquiries on this board asking for assistance get responses from app creators or Shopify Partners who see this as an opportunity to make a few bucks, and that is not what this "community" should be about. 

To the best of my estimation, I've checked out about 40 different apps and most haven't functioned well enough for me to want to use them if they were free, let alone pay for them. There are a number of apps we use on a daily basis, but of those there is one that we pay for. I'm not suggesting that others aren't worth a few bucks or even a larger one-time fee, but it's very easy to get nickel-and-dimed until you're paying fifty or a hundred extra dollars a month for what amounts to minor tweaks.

If I knew for a fact that the e-book you recommend would resolve this challenge for us, I'd gladly pay 30 bucks once over a monthly fee, but there have been too many times when I've paid for the promise of a solution that was nothing but a badly coded hack that didn't even address the issue. 

15 Likes
Shopify Partner
6 0 15

Agree with Jason & Liam here. 

It's an on-going issue for us.

The local pickup option as a $0 freight code means that yes, people select it without checking because it's at the top. That causes headaches. 

The other 'solution', offering a 100% discount code on the freight is also problematic for a few reasons. 

The apparent fact that Shopify is refusing to implement a VERY BASIC feature (manual ordering of freight options presented to the user) to support the app development community is ludicrous. Jason has it right - if the apps actually provided value for money, then OK. But most of them don't. And you can easily end up paying way more in app subscriptions than the base Shopify plan cost. 

Nick

14 Likes
Tourist
5 0 4

Yes. I'm in the process of setting up an online store for our established brick and mortar, and not having a simple local pickup option may be a deal breaker. We have a lot of bridal registries and people out of town like to purchase items to be picked up locally by the bride and groom. Disappointing...

3 Likes