Pick up option

Explorer
50 0 29

I've tried Zapiet's solution, and it's really not a bad app. In fact, I'd go as far as to say it's the best option available at this time. The Local Delivery option can be turned off if that's not something you want to offer and there were a number of other toggles available, though I can't recall specifics at this time. It didn't integrate as well as their screen shots would have you believe—I recall the images within the buttons were left-justified rather than centered—but they do offer assistance with integration for an additional fee. And quite honestly, I wouldn't have any clue how to create something that would work with every theme available, so I can't fault them for minor aesthetic issues.

For us it was just "too much," in two ways. The cost, while perhaps reasonable for a chain with high order volume, is prohibitive. But it's also a case of the app itself being too much for us. Zapiet Store Pickup + Local Delivery makes the customer put in a ZIP Code and then select the store from which they want to pickup. For a single store like ours, that adds too many extra steps to the checkout process and makes the customer question why we're doing that if we only have one location. Still, even if that were resolved, there's no way we can justify $29.00 per month.

This is a perfect example of why I feel the whole "solution" of offering apps rather than building in functionality is not really a solution. I think the folks at Zapiet have done a great job at solving a problem, but the features they offer should be an expansion on a simple function that is already part of the Shopify framework.

3 Likes
Excursionist
11 0 19

@Jason_Roberts wrote:

I've tried Zapiet's solution, and it's really not a bad app. In fact, I'd go as far as to say it's the best option available at this time. The Local Delivery option can be turned off if that's not something you want to offer and there were a number of other toggles available, though I can't recall specifics at this time. It didn't integrate as well as their screen shots would have you believe—I recall the images within the buttons were left-justified rather than centered—but they do offer assistance with integration for an additional fee. And quite honestly, I wouldn't have any clue how to create something that would work with every theme available, so I can't fault them for minor aesthetic issues.

For us it was just "too much," in two ways. The cost, while perhaps reasonable for a chain with high order volume, is prohibitive. But it's also a case of the app itself being too much for us. Zapiet Store Pickup + Local Delivery makes the customer put in a ZIP Code and then select the store from which they want to pickup. For a single store like ours, that adds too many extra steps to the checkout process and makes the customer question why we're doing that if we only have one location. Still, even if that were resolved, there's no way we can justify $29.00 per month.

This is a perfect example of why I feel the whole "solution" of offering apps rather than building in functionality is not really a solution. I think the folks at Zapiet have done a great job at solving a problem, but the features they offer should be an expansion on a simple function that is already part of the Shopify framework.

I agree with all of this. It's the exactly the same reason I also did not use it. It's this model which frustrates me with Shopify that makes me want to just pay a developer to build me a Magento store with everything I need.

1 Like
2 0 0

I tried this options and is not working for "Pick up in store" I want it to show with USPS as an option if they wont want shipping pick up in store, is that possible?

0 Likes
Shopify Partner
5 0 0

Well said  

0 Likes
4 0 0
Disappointing that this is a problem. I'm exploring setting up a store now and this is one of the options that may sway my decision to use it or not.
0 Likes
Tourist
4 0 10

I'd like to chime in here, too, and agree with most everyone before.  This is a basic store feature, and Shopify should build this and not ask us to spend money on apps for this.  I'm just not going to spend $30/mo for this one tweak.  Like the others have said, I'm glad apps afford some extensibility to the platform, but when merely 2 paid apps cost more than the platform itself does, then Shopify really isn't aligned well with the needs of their customers.

We regularly get burned by this: customers just unthinkingly select the local pickup option because it's free, and because it's on top, and that puts everyone in a bad position.  We either have to go back to the customer with our hand out for more money, or we have to just eat the cost.  We've done both, and I decided to simply disable that shipping option altogether.  For now we'll just apply manual refunds to orders of people who contact us for local pickup.  That's also less than idea, but at least that way we're not eating the cost, and the customer experience is maintained.  

8 Likes
Shopify Partner
137 4 14

The only real solution (except for upgrading to shopify plus and using scripts) is to have your customer select to pick it up in store on the cart page (or product pages), and then add a free shipping discount code to the checkout when they hit the checkout button. call it something like pickup_discount so they understand what it's for

0 Likes
Explorer
50 0 29

Add me as a another long-time Shopify customer very frustrated by this lack of basic functionality and not satisfied with the 3rd party app solutions (or prices).  Shopify's "solution" of creating a free Store Pickup shipping rate just does not work in reality.  Even though our option says "You will pick up in our store", many customers needing it shipped still select it when checking out because it says Free and because it is the first option in the list and we have no control over either. When this happens we have to contact them, create a new order with only shipping on it, send them the invoice to pay online, hope they pay it, and then we can mail the order.  It creates a major headache for us.  We just want a good solution that works for both us and the customer.  We don't want to:  1) force the customer to pay shipping and add a note to their order saying they want store pickup and then we refund the shipping, or 2) deal with the customer selecting free in store pickup when they need it shipped.  Come on Shopify, please get this figured out.

7 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
137 4 14

Hi,

Yes I'm going to link you to my app.

I know you say you don't like apps, and I understand it's frustrating to need to add an app for many things you need, but I'm not sure that many shopify merchants really use the pickup feature, so it's understandable that their focus is in adding other more common features.

To get to my point, I've created an app to display inventory per location on the product page: https://apps.shopify.com/product-inventory-information many multi store owners like it, and some requested a feature that add pickup as an option.

so there now is an option for customers to select a pickup point from the list of locations on the product page, and the great thing is, I only add a free shipping option when the customer has selected a pickup location in the product.

You can try it here (this is my development store, so don't mind the styling please):

https://pakjegemak.myshopify.com/collections/frontpage/products/copy-of-test-product

0 Likes
Explorer
50 0 29

Thanks for the reply Thomas.  In our case, we only have one location.  We do not use the location or inventory capabilities of Shopify (we have an external master inventory system since we make our own products so track both raw and finished goods).  Every product we make and sell is available for local pickup.  We need the local pickup option controllable at the order level, not the product level. 

1 Like