Pick up option

Explorer
50 0 27

Hi Susie.  The various pick up in store apps that are available do this.  They fill in the shipping address with the pick up location address and remove the non-free shipping options during checkout.  Of course, this costs additional money for an app that is generally overkill for most merchants needs.  And as you're discovering, the Shopify "work-around" really does not work at all In Real Life. After trying every Shopify suggestion and it turning out to not be a feasible solution, we have gone back to the old "if you want to pick up in store, please put a note in your cart and we will refund your shipping" method.  This is obviously not ideal for customers, but is the safest way to go.

We've been very happy with Shopify overall, but our one major complaint is the lack of some basic functionality which forces us to pay for apps to solve the problem.  We pay more for apps per month than we do for our Shopify subscription at this point.

1 Like
Tourist
3 0 1
The fact you pay more for apps than the monthly subscription is insane!

Could you tell me please which app passes around the shipping address bit please?

Thanks so much for your reply and good luck with everything.

Kind regards

Susie
0 Likes
Explorer
50 0 27

You can check out the various apps that are available here: https://apps.shopify.com/search?q=pick+up&st_source=

0 Likes
Explorer
41 1 24

Here's an idea I thought of, which i haven't seen used before, which I use in our store.

1. Create a pick-up product in your store. I just called mine 'Pick Up in Store'
  2. Add button to your cart page that will add product to the cart.
    • You can create a button using bestcssbuttongenerator.com
    • Here is the code that needs to be put in in your cart page where you want it to show.  You will need to find your product's id to replace the string of numbers after add/.  You can find it by opening up the product in your shopify admin and then going to the url bar and adding .xml to the end.  Press enter and you will see the code.  Find the <id type="integer">############</id> line and copy the #####. That #### will replace the #### after add/ below. You can edit the text to read whatever you want, which reads 'click here to pick up your order in store' in my example.
                <a href="/cart/add/30258426118224" class="pickupButton">Click here to pick up your order in store</a>
    • Here is the CSS for the button I used, which you can edit to fit your needs.
      //Pick Up In Store Button Style and Color CSS
      .pickupButton {
      	background-color:#000000;
      	-moz-border-radius:16px;
      	-webkit-border-radius:16px;
      	border-radius:16px;
      	display:inline-block;
      	cursor:pointer;
      	color:#ffffff;
      	font-family:Georgia;
      	font-size:14px;
      	padding:4px 8px;
      	text-decoration:none;
      	text-shadow:0px 1px 0px #2f6627;
      }
      .pickupButton:hover {
      	background-color:#aa1111;
        	text-shadow:none;

}
      .pickupButton:active {
      	position:relative;
      	top:1px;
      }
  3. The above steps will successfully add the product you created to your customer's order.  However, they will still be charged shipping if no other steps are completed.  What you need to accomplish is have something run which looks to see if that product is added to cart.  If so, then offer free shipping.  You can certainly do this with code, but I don't know how; I toy around with code, but am not an expert (yet).  To accomplish this task, I used an app we already use for many other things on our store (bundles, sales, upsells, wholesale, bulk discounts, free shipping for orders over $75, and other features).  You can use the same app we did or any app (or code) which allows you to add free shipping to the order if that cart has the 'pick in store' product in it.  The app we used is called Selly United and we do recommend it.  It's about $25 per month for all its features; worth looking at.  And no, I am not affiliated with Selly in any way other than being a fellow customer.  In the Selly app, I created a sale with the 'pick up in store' product as the trigger and free shipping as the reward.  This will make it so they are not charged shipping.  They will still have to enter their shipping info, however.
  4. You'll need to teach your shipper to prepare items for in store pick up when that product is on the order. And you will need to manually fulfill these orders and, depending on what shipping program you use, you may need to cancel the order in that program.

Feel free to ask me any questions.  I will help if I know how!

If you want to see it in action on our store, go to ihopkc.org/store and add something to the cart.  Then go to cart and have fun!

0 Likes
7 0 0

Hello Susie,

I'm the creator of "Simple In-Store Pick Up" app (https://apps.shopify.com/simple-in-store-pick-up)

My app now fills the shipping information with the store address when checking out to lessen the confusion. I am also planning on adding a way to apply free shipping without the coupon (which my app uses at the moment).

0 Likes
Tourist
3 0 1
Thank you so much for your response. The app looks almost perfect (!) (I’ve downloaded the 7 day free trial) however perhaps you could tell me why it offers the option of ‘Free Shipping’ when in store pick up is selected?

The address issue is sorted which is a huge relief but I now seem to be offering customers the option of free shipping!

Kind regards and thank you again for your response.

Suie
0 Likes
7 0 0
Hi Susie,

I'm glad it's working out for you! The free shipping is shown because the store pick up coupon is applied. So at the moment it will show as free shipping although it's a pick up. I am working on an update on the app that will add a "Store Pick Up" option in the shipping method. I'm hoping to release this update on Monday of next week.
0 Likes
Explorer
41 1 24

Susie,

The reason his app would show free shipping is simple.  Shopify does not have this natively built into their platform, so the only thing anyone can do is manipulate what Shopify does have in place.  All ways to offer in store pick up will require shopify to think the order is getting free shipping or else the customer would be charged for shipping.

An app is a easy but cost ineffective way to accomplish this, but if the app does want you want simply, go for it!

Otherwise, I found the solution I responded with above is working out so far for us.  I implemented it yesterday.  I was able to implement it realizing one of the apps was basically mirroring the same process.

0 Likes
Explorer
41 1 24

Also,

There is a major downside to using the app being talked about in this thread right now:

your customers will not be able to use any discount code for their order AND get in store pickup since only one coupon code can be applied to a customer's cart at a time.

Hopefully, they'll find a way around this to improve the app.  The only way I found around it so far is by using the app we use for our sales and a bunch of other things, Selly United.  They combine various offers and sales to apply a discounted price at checkout through Shopify's draft order feature, allowing for us to include free shipping whenever our in store pick up product is added to the cart.  We have a button on our cart page that customers can click to add this product to cart, making it so everything works seamlessly.

Hope everything works out for ya!

0 Likes
7 0 0
Hello Kyle,

Like I mentioned, I'll be making an update to my app so it will no longer use the coupon field, therefore it will be left free for use.
I'll be using the same method you mentioned where it adds a store pick up product to the cart as well.
The app's price will remain unchanged.
0 Likes