Pick up option

Explorer
47 0 21

Lachlan,

It is possible using conditional statements triggered by the shipping method. I know because we did it with ours. Unfortunately, because In-Store Pickup was the default, so many people skipped the step and chose In-Store when they didn't mean to, we dropped it as an option and reverted back to our original email.

Look in Shopify's Liquid Reference: https://help.shopify.com/en/themes/liquid

The tag you want is {{ shipping_method.title }}. So you would have something like:

{% if shipping_method.title == "In-Store Pickup" %}
   Instructions for picking-up in your store.
{% else %}
   Text with shipping info.
{% endif %}

Note that "In-Store Pickup" above must be the exact name of your pickup shipping method.

Good luck!

-J.

0 Likes
17 0 0

Thanks, that worked but yes, I will consider your earlier comment. Its a shame that the sort can't be placed on something else like alpha/ numeric but anyway, thanks.

0 Likes
1 0 0

Hey. 

Can you please help? How do you give your customers that select Pick Up the coupon code without giving it to everyone. 

0 Likes

Hi @Melissa7, I made a video tutorial for you on how to create a pick up option during checkout, for customers. Hope this helps! https://www.askquesty.com/shopify-answers/pickup-option-shopify-tutorial

0 Likes
6 0 0

Hi Mountain Madness,

I created a simple store pick up app.  Here it is: https://apps.shopify.com/simple-in-store-pick-up

It will present the customer with a checkbox, once clicked it will ask for additional (optional) details for the pick up. Once they go to the checkout screen it will apply a free shipping discount to the order. It's very simple.

In case you were still in need of this feature.

0 Likes
Explorer
48 0 20

Thanks for the message Helper_Tools.  I took a look at it and like the simple functionality.  However, there is a deal breaker for us.  You are using a free shipping discount code which will not work for us since Shopify allows only one discount code per checkout.  We use a quantity discount app that creates a discount code on the fly based on the calculated cart discount.  It also allows another % off discount to be stacked on top but stacking is not compatible with a free shipping discount.  We also use a rewards program app that uses discount codes which are frequently used by customers.  Using the Free Shipping discount will over-ride the previously input and calculated discount codes.  Pretty much any store that uses discount codes, which I imagine is the majority, would not be able to use this app.

If you could simply remove the shipping options at checkout without using a discount code, that would be all that is needed.  But I understand that Shopify does not provide for API manipulation of the checkout interface.

0 Likes
6 0 0

Thanks MountainMadness,

Thank you for your insight. I did fail to accommodate discount code usage. You gave me a great idea! I’ll be working on adding a field called “Discount Code” under the pick up checkbox for a single discount code. So then I’ll stack free shipping plus whatever the discount code does.
I’m sorry my app doesn’t meet your requirements, but thanks for your feedback!
0 Likes
Tourist
10 0 5

I agree with previous posters. This should be a basic built in option in Shopify. Paying anything to for an app to achieve this is absurd. Seems like Shopify leaves off a lot of basic functions that would be simple to implement in order to force you to add apps which they get a % of the cost.  

Pick up option should be built into shopify for sure.

0 Likes
6 0 0

Has anyone tried using a free shipping discount code for local pick-up? For example, the customer applies a discount code LOCALPICKUP at checkout and the shipping is free. When the order comes in, you sent an email to the customer letting them know where and when it will be available for pick-Up

0 Likes
Explorer
48 0 20

@Tommy_TJDThat would work, but is limited in application.  Most Shopify stores use discount codes for other reasons and when you enter a new discount code at checkout, it wipes out the previously applied discount code.  At least 75% of our online transactions have a discount code already applied by the time the customer gets to checkout.  Maybe some day Shopify will allow the stacking of discount codes.......

0 Likes