Place Store On Hold - Which Option?

Highlighted
9 0 0

Hi,

We need to put our store on hold for a week or two. As far as I can see there are two ways to do this:

1. Password protect store

2. Pause store to keep content but disable shopping cart

The first option above seems simplest, but I'm wondering how that will affect SEO? Does anyone have any comments on this, or which option is best?

Thanks for any responses,

/Dave

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff (Retired)
Shopify Staff (Retired)
289 0 218

Hey there,

There's benefits to each:

1. Password protecting the store means that no-one can access any part of it, and you can put up a custom page for your customers to land on. It will prevent all access to any pages, which can alter your SEO slightly over the two weeks you're thinking of vacationing.

2. Pausing the store is $14 a month and disables the cart, so while your pages are up, things can't be ordered. You can change the plan from Settings > Account, and change it back when you get back.

For less than a month of absence, I'd go with the first option just because of how simple it is. It saves you changing the plan and it's a simple on-off switch for when you come back and are ready to sell. :)

Hope that helps!

0 Likes
Highlighted
9 0 0

Thank you Alex. That'll do for me - option 1 it is then. Cheers.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Explorer
49 0 23

There is another option we use when shutting down store for a month or so.  In theme go to edit HTML and then select product.liquid in Templates. Find the line that speaks to the Add to Cart button and amend to following:

<div><b>We are closed until August 2nd </b></div>   
        {% comment %}
        <button type="submit" name="add" id="addToCart" class="btn">
          <span class="icon icon-cart"></span>
          <span id="addToCartText">{{ 'products.product.add_to_cart' | t }}</span>
        </button>
       {% endcomment %}

The effect is the Add to Cart button is disabled and replaced with a message of your choosing; in the example above the mesage is 'We are closed until August 2nd'

When you want to bring the Add to Cart button back to life simply put the comment and endcomment brackets around the message instead of around the button coding.

We like this option because people can still visit the website and look around at what we offer but cannot buy anything but also know when we will back.  

0 Likes