Please Help! Customer forgot discount code at checkout

Robert73
Tourist
37 0 3

Hi all,

Need a quick answer. How can I refund some of the customers money after purchase? They forgot the discount code in checkout?

Should I just do it as a shipping refund or is there a way to apply the code and automatically refund?

Thanks,

Robert

0 Likes
Jami
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
209 1 26

Hey Robert,

Jamie here from Shopify. Typically your best bet is to do a partial refund of your order for the amount the discount should have been for. This Shopify Doc goes into detail about this process. You can refund whatever value is applicable to this order. You can find the refund button on an orders page (admin > order > select the particular order) - see screenshot.

As an alternative, you do have the option to refund and cancel the order and have your customer place it again with the appropriate discount code. We don't have the option to retroactively add a discount code after the fact at this time. 

I hope that helps! Cheers, 

Jamie | support@shopify.com 

0 Likes
jdash86
Excursionist
14 0 33

It's been 5 years, Shopify Staff. How about now?

dooug
Tourist
3 0 0

I'd also like to be able to apply a discount to an order before the payment is captured. I see no way to do this. Canceling an order and creating a new one creates confusion for the customer. 

0 Likes