Pointing domain to specific shopify page?

Solved
Highlighted
Tourist
4 1 0

Hello, I am currently setup with a custom domain for my Shopify store and everything works great so far.

I also have alternate domains that all redirect to my main domain (via my third party domain provider).

What I would like to do now is point these alternate domains to specific product collections in my shop. Not as redirects but as rewrites. 

Normally on a custom site I would simply edit the htaccess file to make this work but how can I achieve this with Shopify?

Thanks in advance for your help!

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
845 54 138

Hey, there.

This is Dallas from the Shopify Social Care Team. That's a great question and I'd love to provide some clarification for you.

For all domains that are connected to Shopify, they are connected to the entire account rather than a page or collection in particular. There are pages and collections for your website that are created within your account, but the domains are connected with the account in general. For that reason, there isn't a way to connect an entirely different domain to a separate collection on its own.

With that said, you're able to adjust the last part of the collection domain to whatever you like.

For example, if your collection is called "Female Clothing" and you wanted the URL to say something like "Ladies Clothing" you could change it from www.yourdomain.com/collection/femaleclothing to www.yourdomain.com/collection/ladiesclothing. In order to do that you can go into your collection directly and click on the SEO editor at the bottom of the page.

2019-10-6r5q5-n6nyd

2019-10-b2ojz-e3n4r

Once you change that there will also be a URL redirect from the original sub-domain, which in this case is www.yourdomain.com/collection/femaleclothing.

However, if you really want it to be a separate collection then you're going to want to create a second account where you connect the navigation buttons on your original website to a different website entirely. Your domains won't be connected with that account in that case, but they'll be connected and created on the secondary account.

I know that might seem a little confusing, but those will be your best options. If you have any other questions please let me know.

Dallas | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
4 1 0

This is an accepted solution.

Thank you, I can see how I could do with with a seperate account but that would be overkill in terms of costs. I guess I will just use a plain redirect then. 

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
845 54 138

I completely understand! In that case, I suggest that as the best option. 

If you have any other questions please don't hesitate to ask me. 

Dallas | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
Highlighted
3 0 0

Hi!

I have sort of the same question. I bought to domains directly on Shopify, but i want those domains to redirect to a specific page (not collection o product, but a page) Is there a way i can do that?

The domain is faceshieldgroup.com, and the page i need to redirect to, is: https://guateplast.net/pages/escudo-facial

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
4 1 0

As pointed above, it does not seem to be possible at this point. You can do a redirect but not a rewrite unfortunately.

I hope Shopify allows rewrites in a close future. 

0 Likes
Highlighted
3 0 0

Thanks for your help!

Yeah! it will be great

0 Likes
Highlighted
1 0 0

Hi Dallas,

As an IONOS 1&1 user, I have the ability to redirect my domains/subdomains to any URL I specify within my IONOS dashboard. I presume this means that I can direct those domains to any specified page within my Shopify store as well, including product pages... is that right? 

So, if I am marketing customdomain.com and redirect it (through IONOS) to store.myshopify.com/product_page then anyone inputing that customdomain.com goes directly to that product listing rather than to my Shopify storefront/homepage. Correct?

And this could be done for collections, galleries, videos, etc. basically any page or Shopify store link I connect the domain/subdomain to?

Just curious if this is a valid workaround. Thanks

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
4 1 0

In my case, I am not looking for a redirection, I can also do that with my domain management. I was hoping for a rewrite.

0 Likes