Pre Order Advice

3 0 0

Hi  All

I am about to launch and have 500 products to begin with. Which I will take pre orders for delivery by a 1st of March but once the 500 is out of stock will still be taking pre orders for the next batch but will be a further wait that the first batch as this is stock I currently have. What is the best way of doing this for to keep the customers happy that purchase after the first batch and await the next pre order. As the 2nd batch will be will likely be longer than 30 day wait.

Look forward to any advice you may have.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
32 1 3

Hi, @TheHappyBottle!

Ash here from the Shopify team. 

Congratulations on getting ready to launch with your initial batch of pre-order products! It’s great that you’re already considering how to manage the second wave for when your first batch is out of stock. 

For the initial batch, I suggest adding the expected delivery date to the name of the product. For example: “Pre Order Product - Ships by March 1st”. This ensures customers know there is a wait time when they place an order. You can then set the inventory of this product to 500, and add in any other necessary details to the product listing. Make sure to leave the “Continue selling when out of stock” setting unselected:

28-03-g6pp5-ouvz3.jpg

This will make the product appear as out of stock and unavailable for purchase once the 500th has been pre-ordered. Optionally, you can leave a note in the product description that once the initial batch is out of stock there will be a second wave of pre-orders. 

For the second batch, I suggest either creating a new product listing, or duplicating the first product using this button on the product page in the admin:

28-07-hch11-ca5by.jpg

Once you have the second product created, you can adjust the expected delivery date noted in the product title, and adjust any other necessary information in the product description. 

Once the first batch sells out, you can then update your live site to prioritize showing the second batch to your customers. If they come across the first batch, they will see it’s sold out. You can also consider hiding the first batch product listing from your online store once it sells out. That way you can still see and manage it on the back end, but customers won’t be able to see it on the live site. Here’s a screenshot to show where the “product availability” can be managed on product pages in the admin:

28-27-wg975-b1jt2.jpg

We also have a great help document here that shows how to make products available on sales channels. You can reverse this process to hide ones of choice. 

I’m interested to learn more about your business. What are you going to have available for pre-order on your site? Have you already started marketing/advertising to build some hype? Let me know if you’d like to dig into some strategies regarding that together. 

Also, let me know if you need any further assistance with setting up your different batches of pre-order products. 

Ash | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
Highlighted
3 0 0

Hi Ash 

Thank you I really appreciate your reply I have had coded the pre order into my store so that I can have all the data on my website  rather than 3 party and less moving parts. Just to clarify, I just add a new product the same as initial one after it sells out and just change the estimated delivery on the second product.

You can view my store at www.thehappybottle.com

Password to view the site is thehappybottle20

I am starting to promote from Thursday on social media and entering into conversions on the subject on twitter. What your thoughts my final piece of packaging will be with me next Wednesday so what are you thoughts on when to begin to promote I have various strategies that I will try and sharing with influencers but just awaiting my packaging so I can targeting them just as I launch so I can create as much hype initially.  

I look forward to your valued reply

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
32 1 3

Hi, @TheHappyBottle!

I’m glad to be of assistance. I agree it’s nice to have all of your data in one place. 

As for clarification, that’s exactly correct for the second product. You can set it up the same as the initial product, but simply change the important details such as the estimated delivery date. 

I took a look at your site, and the way you have that first product set up looks perfect. Once that one sells out, you can replace it with the new one so new customers can continue to place pre-orders for the second batch. 

It’s great that you’re already starting to think about promoting. You can definitely get the ball rolling on that before you have your packaging, since customers will be aware that the products aren’t shipping out immediately. There’s a lot you can do with social media to promote your business. You can pay for ads of course, but even just being active and engaging with your audience can work wonders. Here are some tips and resources to check out with regards to social media marketing, specifically Instagram and Facebook: 

- Take a look at what your competitors are doing

- Instagram Marketing: The Definitive Guide for Beginners 

- Tips to build your social media following here and here 

- Consider trying the Gary Vee $1.80 Strategy

- Tips on how and when to use different ad types on Facebook here

If you’re planning to work with influencers as well, I suggest reaching out to those you’re interested in as soon as possible. That way, you can start working out an arrangement, and be ready for when your packaging is in. We have a great blog post on influencer marketing you can check out here.

What are some of the other strategies you’re considering trying? I’m happy to continue our discussion here and brainstorm some more ideas with you.

Ash | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes