Pre-order feature?

Highlighted
1 0 2

Are there any plans to build true pre-order functionality in Shopify? Rather than just allowing customers to purchase stock when it's 'sold out', but also having a set limit of how many items can be pre-ordered, messaging that shows expected ship dates and mixed-cart notes. 

Even from all the third-party apps on the Shopify App store, they still don't hit all areas and are often buggy with different Shopify themes. 

2 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
10 0 6

I'd love this feature, too.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
173 2 26

I can’t speak to Shopify’s plans, but I run an app called PreProduct that fits 80% of your description.

All of the pre-order listings show the planned ship date on the front-end. There’s also a ’crowdfunding’ type of listing that will hide the product from your storefront once a specified number of pre-orders has been reached.

It works a little differently to normal pre-order apps, as we collect ‘order commitments’ and then email payment links out to these customers at a later date. This opens up quite a few doors, as you can trigger these payment links whenever you’re ready. e.g. you can start listing your product way in advance, collect payment before ordering stock, collect payment after ordering stock, but use the ‘order commitments’ as a gauge for future demand when you’re deciding how many units to order etc.

The app has only been out for 6 weeks, so we’re iterating pretty quickly on our feature set. I’d be interested to hear more about the ‘mixed-cart’ notes idea.

Anyway, there’s a link in my signature, and I’d be more than happy to jump on a Zoom demo with anyone interested, as well as work through new features.

Cheers,

Oli

——————————

Founder @ www.preproduct.io

Test and make sales for future products

1 Like
Highlighted
Tourist
4 0 1

Does your app PreProduct support ajax-cart?

I just spend half of the day trying various pre-order apps and most of them do not work (or require a lot of custom installation) with ajax-cart, it is really frustrating.

Also, for some reason when one clicks on PRE-ORDER they tend to jump to cart immediately ... instead of just adding an item to the cart. 

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
173 2 26

Hi @sushipanda ,

Yeah, I've seen a few of the other pre-order apps advertise that they're compatible with ajax-cart when they're not.

For ajax cart sites, we'll generally hide the 'quick-buy' button on the collection page just for pre-order products. So, users have to go to the product page to buy/pre-order the product.
Once on the product page, PreProduct automatically hides the 'buy button' and show it's own 'pre-order button'.
We do this ajax tweak for customers fairly regularly, just get in touch once you have the app installed on your store.

I think I went into the 'pay later' way that PreProduct works, earlier in the thread. So, PreProduct wouldn't add directly to your cart at the time. The order would first go into your dashboard until you're ready to collect payment.
We do offer two types of payment links though, a 'straight to pre-populated checkout' and a 'add to cart' version.

Cheers,

Oli

——————————

Founder @ www.preproduct.io

Test and make sales for future products

0 Likes