Prevent Duplicate SKUs

Highlighted
Tourist
6 0 14

Is there a setting within Shopify to prevent or disallow duplicate SKU numbers? I want to make sure I don't use the same SKU number across multiple products or variants, but right now there is no easy way to see if a SKU is already in use. It would be great is Shopify prevented me from saving a product until I changed the SKU to something unique.

Does this exist???

Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
283 0 53

Hi Mary,

I wish I could advise on a way to enable this type of restriction on Shopify, but there is not. We can try exporting a CSV file of all your products, isolating the SKU column, and try to find matches using one of these guides:

Essentially, you would use formulas in spreadsheet editors to see if the data appears more than once. That is the only workaround I can think of, I hope that helps.

Hugh

Happy selling! :)
0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
5 0 21

How is this not a standard feature for Shopify? Unique SKU's are essential for inventory management solutions to work properly (i.e. barcode scanning, reporting, shipping/receiving, etc...). Can you please add this in as a Shopify feature request? Once the product has been created with duplicate SKU's, the damage is already done. Correcting it is possible, but there could already be issues with reporting in our inventory or shipping systems...

Highlighted
Tourist
3 0 3

@IncredibleHabit wrote:

How is this not a standard feature for Shopify? Unique SKU's are essential for inventory management solutions to work properly (i.e. barcode scanning, reporting, shipping/receiving, etc...). Can you please add this in as a Shopify feature request? Once the product has been created with duplicate SKU's, the damage is already done. Correcting it is possible, but there could already be issues with reporting in our inventory or shipping systems...

Agreed.  One of the reason of having a SKU is to prevent duplications.  It should be a pretty basic function.

Highlighted

Just resurrecting this to see if anyone has found an easy way to find duplicate barcodes or skus inside shopify variants & Products.

1 year e-commerce, 7 years B&M store. www.shopbraeheid.com
0 Likes
Highlighted
2 0 0

You would think someone would have created an app for that if Shopify is not interested in helping us out.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
96 0 23

http://trunkinventory.com can email you if duplicate SKUs are found

How Trunk works is it builds its own centralized inventory from your Shopify listings. If it finds a duplicate SKU, it will notify you 👍

⚡Sync your stock levels + bundles/kits in real-time between any number of Shopify, Amazon, eBay, Etsy, Faire, Squarespace, Square stores with Trunk
0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
723 107 278

Realise this is a bit of an old thread but we have the same issue. I have found two apps that look like they may do the trick, just thought i'd post to help anyone else out with same issue.

https://apps.shopify.com/quality-product-data-watch?surface_detail=pump&surface_inter_position=1&sur...

https://apps.shopify.com/sku-generator-1?surface_detail=sku&surface_inter_position=1&surface_intra_p...

Not tried either of them yet, so will update if I do.

If helpful then please Like and Accept Solution
0 Likes
Highlighted
2 0 0

Hello,

If you really want to make sure you don't have Dups you have two options.

A - Take the Manf. SKU and add a prefix. If you look at all the Big Box Stores, they all do this. This is due to manufacturers having the same SKUs. In which case you would have the same situation your in. 

B - Use the bar-code as your SKU.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Anonymous
Not applicable
1394 0 0

Yet another basic functionality that should be part of Shopify without needing to turn to a third party app. Any news on this, ?