Pricing change by quantity

Highlighted
3 0 1
Hi all--quick question. If I have a sku which has, say, three different prices, based on quantity, can this be reflected in shopify? So, if I have an item which has a base price of $10 for one, but costs $9 for 10-50, and $8 for 51+, is it possible to set this up on the item page? Thanks.
Highlighted
Shopify Staff (Retired)
Shopify Staff (Retired)
157 0 14

One way you could do something like this is have variants for different quantities. To approximate the setup you describe, you might make the first variant called “single” or “x1” and cost $10, the next variant is called “x10” or “ten at a time” or something and costs $90, and the third variant is “x50” and costs $400.

James MacAulay, Shopify Developer
0 Likes
Highlighted
6 0 0

I’m doing something similar but with much higher quantities (a minimum of 500, max of 25000). I need to set price breaks at certain quantities. Is there a way to have a base price for a quantity x, and then add unit prices for each unit over x?

Here’s a couple of the pricing breaks.

A quantity of 500 = $120. Each unit between 500 and 999 costs $.03 more per unit.
A quantity of 1000 = $135. Each unit between 1000 and 2499 costs $.04 more per unit.

so for example, 650 units would cost $120 + $.03 times (650-500) = $124.5
1259 units would cost $135 + $.04 times (1259 – 1000) = $145.36

I have seven such price breaks. The problem is that every single quantity has its own unit price. The price for 500 products = $120 at a unit price of .24 and the price for 501 products = 120.03 at a unit price of 0.23958.

Of course it is easy to calculate the price with javascript, but since each quantity has its own unit price, and you need a variant for each unit price, I can’t very well have 24500 skus just for each quantity, not to mention multiplied by the other product options (size, color, etc…)

Thanks for the help.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
5704 1 326

A quantity of 500 = $120. Each unit between 500 and 999 costs $.03 more per unit. A quantity of 1000 = $135. Each unit between 1000 and 2499 costs $.04 more per unit.

If you buy more, you are rewarded with a higher unit price..?

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
5704 1 326

Evolution Design has a very sweet setup here: http://www.charlestoncreative.com/products/brochures
(I did some JavaScript there.)

For most things bought in very large quantities, it doesn’t make much sense to buy some odd number.

It’s a good selling point though to be told how much it ends up costing you per unit, when you buy 500 -vs- 1K -vs- 5K.

0 Likes
Highlighted
6 0 0

I was going to put a disclaimer on that unit pricing cause it does make me look like an idiot. But, really the unit price IS cheaper for more products, it’s just the rate at which the unit price changes is higher, if that makes any sense. If you do a graph of the unit prices, the line decreases more sharply between 500 and 1000 than between 1000 and 2500. That baffled me for a while too.

I have something pretty near identical to charlestoncreative that I created (for business cards, Caroline you may remember you helped me with variant options before) and for that product, my company wanted set prices. For this product (envelopes), they told me they want to be able to price by unit. I will continue to try talk them out of it. But for now, I’m still looking for a base price for x + per unit price for each unit over x mechanism.

0 Likes
Highlighted
6 0 0

I saw some old threads about price breaks. http://forums.shopify.com/categories/1/posts/8451
Has anything happened with this recently?

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
5704 1 326

Not that I’m aware of, Batman.

I do hope you convince your company because you’re already hacking the #### out of Shopify for whoever-is-in-charge as it is. He/she/they want it all, but are not ready to pay for a custom e-commerce solution. Shopify is a hosted solution, the back-end is off limits. Well, actually… not true… we have a great API now. But I mean it’s not Magento. I said it before, I’ll say it again: Shopify is too cheap for everything that it offers. I can’t wait for the day where plans prices will go up, and the sort of clients who want ‘Facebook for the price of a blog’ will just be filtered out naturally.

There’s actually a way to get all that you want, and it involves JavaScript. I am tired of giving all my recipes away without monetary compensation. But you’re very smart and if I give you 2 hints you will be able to work this out.

Hint no 1. Use quantity.
Hint no 2. Use a different variant for each cost/unit.

Highlighted
Shopify Partner
18 0 0

Hey I know this an old post. But I was wondering couldn't one use a negative priced line-item called discount, that could be applied to the whole cart. Based on the quantities selected or is that a really bad idea.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
5704 1 326

Products can be free but cannot have a negative price:

0 Likes