Private Webstore? Making Your Store Private, Log-in Only?

Highlighted
1 0 0

We've been loving Shopify over the past year for our operations but have an important issue to address. We'd like to make our store private, log-in only. Is this possible?

95% of our business is selling our products to spas, retailers and professionals, so in order to protect these relationships we don't want our store to be easily found through Google and other means. Making it log-in only would add another helpful barrier.

Thank you for any help on this, we'd great appreciate it.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
679 63 88

Hey, @SilasParkar.

Elias here with Shopify Support! Thank you for sharing this feedback!

I'm glad to hear that you're loving Shopify and I understand you'd like to make your store private or log-in access only. I was able to find a Google help doc on removing your website from search results; however, this isn't something that I'd recommend - as it completely prevents new spas, retailers, or professionals from potentially establishing a new relationship with your company and it may also impact your rankings on search results later down the road. Nonetheless, there are a couple of alternatives that you can consider for this.

One alternative is to make customer accounts a requirement for shopping on your website and remove the customer sign up page. This way, you can regulate the customers that can shop on your website, as they can only get an account by contacting your store. However, it's important to note you'll still need to customize your theme to further limit the access to your store.

Another alternative is by using a third-party lock or wholesale app, which will reduce or eliminate the need for significant coding changes on your theme. I'd recommend taking a look at Locksmith, their app provides complete access control for everything in your online store and allows you to grant access through a number of methods (eg. unique passcode, secret link, specific emails, customer tags, or even specific IP addresses). If you need any help with their app, you can always reach out directly to the developer through the contact information found in the Support Section of their app's page.

I hope this provides a couple of solutions for you to consider! If you have any other questions on this topic, please don't hesitate to let me know!

Elias | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
Highlighted
Navigator
252 10 33

Hi @SilasParkar ,

Other than what @Elias suggested, you can also try to set password to make your store private

Cheers!

Avada is an e-commerce solution provider based in the heart of Vietnam where the best developers unite. Founded in 2017 by Mageplaza, Avada is responsible to complete the mission to help 1 million online businesses grow revenues.
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
679 63 88

Hey, @TungDao.

Thank you for joining the thread! Setting up the password protection for the online store is definitely another option and I'm sure it can be a great solution for some merchants. However, I didn't suggest this because it doesn't provide much control of who can get access to the website - as the storefront password is a single password that's likely shared between the clients. This may pose a problem if the password is shared to someone that wasn't meant for, or when the password becomes compromised - as they'll be able to enter the shop unwarranted. 

I hope this helps clarify the password protection on storefronts! Thanks!

Elias | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

Highlighted
Tourist
4 0 1

I would 100% suggest Locksmith. We are a B2B company and we use Locksmith so that we can have a controlled "public" homepage, curating what public visitors can see, and then once a customer (with a customer account) logs in, they have access to customer only content. The app literally did everything we wanted. Good luck!