Probably a dumb question about paying suppliers

Highlighted
Tourist
4 0 1

Hi Im a complete newbie to the dropshipping thing ... VERY slowly working things out 1 day at a time. This might be a stupid question but I havent found clear info on the subject as yet?

OK... So lets say I have a shop and ive Imported some things from Aliexpress and Oberlo .. Now someone comes to my store and makes a purchase.. I get paid and Im assuming now I have to pay the dropshipper to get that item on its way to the buyer.....  Am I correct so far?

Next question is... How do I know or track what supplier I need to sent this money to? Does the checkout or orders tab tell me what I need to know? 

:-)
1 Like
Highlighted
Shopify Staff (Retired)
Shopify Staff (Retired)
228 0 35

Hi, Bradley!

Anders from the Social Care Team here. No such thing as dumb question ? 

Going off your example, once you have all of your products imported to your Shopify store through the Oberlo app, and a customer places an order, this will create an Order in both Shopify and Oberlo. You want to next go to Oberlo, select the Order, and then actually purchase the product from AliExpress. I suggest using the Oberlo Chrome Extension to automate some of this process. Fulfilling the order through Oberlo will ensure you are connecting to the proper supplier. Oberlo also has a great video which goes through this process HERE.

Once you have ordered the product from AliExpress, you will want to then fulfill the order on Shopify's end to send the proper notification emails to your customers. 

Let me know if you require any further clarification on that!

Anders3 | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

1 Like
Highlighted
1 0 0

I had the exact same question, i figured out the answer about going to the Oberlo/Aliexpress site and placing the order and the chrome extension to do that etc, HOWEVER the first thing that comes to mind is how is this scalable!? What if I got 1000 orders in a day (to be so lucky), does this mean I need to go one by one into Aliexpress and pay for each individual order? This seems terribly cumbersome. I was thinking there was an automated way, why isnt Shopify integrated to these suppliers in a way so that i can wait for the funds to hit my Shopify acct and then simply sweep the funds to the supplier to pay for all of the orders I owe to Aliexpress? Also of course the second big elephant in the room is the fact that you have to wait to get paid (unless you have a massive surplus of available funds) and then go and pay the supplier. Someone on Youtube mentions in shipping and returns you just state that orders ship in 5-10 days and that way you generally are covered and can wait to get paid prior to purchasing from the supplier. Not ideal for the customer but for early stages of the business this seems to be the only way. Just curious about these two areas, wondered how the experts recomment these are handled? 

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
7 0 1

I was to ask same question! Please see this https://youtu.be/B7h107IgAzg  

0 Likes