Problem submitting Sitemap to Google

2 0 0

Hello,

I submitted the sitemap to Google on Nov 24,2018 and it says 'sitemap could not be read'. I added the "/sitemap.xml" to the end of my url but it just says 'couldn't fetch'. My website has the .myshopify.com. Does that prevent my site from being indexed through the sitemap?

I have read and re-read the help pages as well as this forum on how to submit a sitemap and cannot figure out the problem.

Would appreciate some insight.

Thank you 

0 Likes
Excursionist
25 0 5

did you ever get your issue resolved? I am having the exact same issue. 

0 Likes
2 0 0

No. I just indexed the site manually through Google Console. From what I've read Shopify nor Goggle want to help much.

0 Likes
Excursionist
25 0 5

In my case I submitted the sitemap.xml and it said couldn't fetch for about a week, then it just started working. The error seems misleading. The old console showed no error, just said pending. I think for whatever reason the new console shows a misleading error.

0 Likes
Highlighted

What is the URL of the website in Google Search Console? I presume you've successfully verified it given you are trying to submit the sitemap.

I have never tried to submit a sitemap for a myshopify.com (having done over a hundreds for stores with their own domains.)

I would say just buy your own domain. They cost very little these days, are important for branding, and will help other marketing.

Run Google Shopping ads? Get the free definitive guide to Google Shopping for Shopify (no optin required): https://www.digitaldarts.com.au/google-shopping
0 Likes
1 0 0

Hey mate I have found a fix for your issue, as I had a similar problem with my electric kick scooter site. Go to shopify admin -> domains -> and check what domain you have listed and that it matches with the one registered in Google Search Console. My issue was that I registered the WWW.domain.com version of my domain in GSC, but the HTTPS://domain.com version in shopify. Just change them so they match and you'll be all good to go!

0 Likes
2 0 0

Hi! Did you ever get this resolved? I am having the same issue. and I cant seem to find any answers on google. Go figure. So frustrating!

0 Likes