Process Help for Creating a SubDomain on Shopify

Highlighted
Shopify Partner
6 0 4

I understand the basic principles of setting up a subdomain, but not the process itself. I'd like to be able to setup a subdomain within my Shopify store that would be directed to a collection of highly discounted products. I'm not showing these products on any of my regular collections and certainly don't want to show this collection in my normal navigation, but I'm unsure of the process of setting up the SubDomain friends.barbedcotton.com and then having it direct users to www.barbedcotton.com/collections/friends . I'm utilizing Shopify's domain hosting still.

Thanks,

Blake

1 Like
Highlighted
Tourist
31 0 1

Hey Blake,

You have got a killer web store! I love what you have done to it.

Okay let us look at the question at hand.

-->You have a main domain at Shopify -- www.barbedcotton.com

-->You want to create a subdomain -- Friends.barbedcotton.com

--> Then this subdomain should re-direct users to -- www.barbedcotton.com/collections/friends

Here's my solution for you:

If you bought a custom domain from Shopify, your root domain and two subdomains are configured for you:

your-store-name.com (your root domain)
www.your-store-name.com
shop.your-store-name.com.

If you want to add more subdomains to a custom domain from Shopify, you'll need to add more CNAME resource records through the OpenSRS interface. Instructions would have been sent to you when you bought the domain through Shopify.

Given below is the link where I had found the information about Shopify domains. Good Q buddy! Your question has made me think about my own domains configuration :)

http://docs.shopify.com/manual/settings/domains/understanding-domains#subdomains

If you found some of the words too techy, there's nothing to worry because Shopify has provided explanation clearly.

I hope this helps.

Mary Anne V.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
6 0 4

Mary Anne -

Thanks for the information, but that's essentially just copied straight from the help documents and doesn't address the issue that I'm having. The Help docs don't actually go through how to manage your domain utilizing the hosting service provided by Shopify. I chatted with a Shopify agent last night and got a LITTLE direction, but I followed their instructions and have waited the requisite 24hrs, but the sub-domain still does not work. Looks like I'll be contacting them again.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Expert
9852 98 1618

You can't redirect a subdomain (CNAME) to a page - that's not how they work. Unless Shopify domains support that kind of fragment redirection you'd need to run some JavaScript on the index page to detect if the current url is that exact subdomain and redirect them. Your subdomain is working however.

JavaScript url change:
https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/API/Window.location

★ Winning Partner of the Build a Business competition. ★ http://freakdesign.com.au
0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
6 0 4

I just spoke with Shopify's support and Shayne helped me to correct the domain redirect. With Shopify's system, you have to do the following:

1. Create a collection that will be the basis of the Subdomain
  2. Create a domain forwarding record for your intended Subdomain, setting the Destination URL as the Collection you created in Step 1, making note of the IP address that is presented on the page for the domain forward
  3. Create an A Record for the Subdomain, using the IP address from Step 2

Currently, there is an issue with IP addresses not showing sometimes in Step 2, but if you contact Support, they can provide it for you.

1 Like
Highlighted
Shopify Expert
9852 98 1618

Never needed to use the Shopify dns control panel so that's cool to know it can be done - albeit with that quirk with step 2. 

★ Winning Partner of the Build a Business competition. ★ http://freakdesign.com.au
0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
31 0 1

Hi Blake,

Yup, I had pasted some info from the Shopify documents. It was excerpt from the link :) Sorry to hear that it was not helpful :(

But, I'm glad all is well in the end and the Shopify customer support was able to fix it. Thanks for sharing the solution here. It is definitely very helpful for all us (Shopify store owners) :)

Cheers,

Mary Anne V.

0 Likes
Highlighted
2 0 0

Domain forwarding record was the key to me pointing subdomain.domain.com to  yourstore.myshopify.com/collections/whatevername/

Thanks!

0 Likes