Product CSV Import

fragranzaUk
Tourist
13 0 1

Hi,

I am in process of building CSV product import from our internal system. I just wanted to ask few things:

1-How many Option Name-Value pair you can have in the file. The example template only contains 3 pairs so I was wondering if this is the max pair you can have in the file. I have 5 attributes of the product, I would like to fit in :

• Range
  • Size
  • Edition

Please let me know if I am doing it the right way or I can fit attributes in some other column of the CSV file. As far as I can see there is no column in the CSV for Gender. Please help.

Thanks

0 Likes
channelup
Shopify Partner
238 11 30

Hi

Shopify only allows 3 options for creating variants. Also note there is a limit of 100 variants in total: https://help.shopify.com/en/manual/products/variants/add-variants

There are apps that allow more than this number of options and variants however they work on the basis of tagging the order with these values. If you do not need inventory tracking then this might be sufficient but if you are looking to manage your stock correctly then there are a couple of other ways. Check out the app store for "options"

To maintain inventory the main way to use Shopify is to split your products across a certain option and then display those through a tweak in design. An example is this one: https://www.trotters.co.uk/products/catherine-dress-blue-ditsy?_pos=2&_sid=cba9bcf25&_ss=r The colors are options on page but in fact load new pages as the are split into different products. This allows them to have more than 100 variants. Not ideal so just depends on what you are after.

Regards

Tom

Channelup is a product data management solution helping Shopify stores automate their processes.
If you require custom development or would like to test out our features contact me at tom@channelup.io
fragranzaUk
Tourist
13 0 1

Hi,

Thanks for your response. 
Is option name-value pair is the correct way to use Gender, Size, and Range? 

I can drop the other two attributes in the Product description as I don't need filtering on these two fields. 

Thanks

channelup
Shopify Partner
238 11 30

Hey

Yep you can use any option name and then set the value per variant. If you can just use 3 that would solve 99% of the issues.

Hopefully you can also stay under the 100 variant limit as that would then cover the last 1%!

Regards

Tom

Channelup is a product data management solution helping Shopify stores automate their processes.
If you require custom development or would like to test out our features contact me at tom@channelup.io