Product - Cost per item - What it does?

Highlighted
1 0 0

I noticed that after I added a cost to inventory that already existed, it did not affect the Gross Profit section under the Finance Report. Does that mean that I needed to put the cost in at the time I added inventory? And only future sales will apply this cost for reports? Not past sales?

0 Likes
Highlighted
2 0 1

Why is it that I can only see the margin and the profit when the 'charge tax on this product' tick box is checked? Is there any other way of seeing this, or if I leave this option unchecked will it affect anything else?

Screenshot 2020-03-20 at 16.42.56.png

Screenshot 2020-03-20 at 16.43.02.png

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
3 0 2

Is there any way to display cost per item? Like product.price, but product.cost_per_item? I understand most won't want to use this, but we actually have a use for it.

1 Like
Highlighted
Excursionist
15 0 4

We also need that, 

as for this example

{% if customer and customer.tags contains 'admin' %} {{ product.cost }}

All admins can then be allowed to see the cost price, but we can't find the "Cost price key word"

product.price_cost

product.cost_price

product.cost

Anyone know?

1 Like
Highlighted
Shopify Expert
9884 100 1724

Cost price isn't exposed in Liquid for use on the front end (the theme). It's not a field that merchants would generally want to expose.

For those that do need it, what is the use case for that?

★ Winning Partner of the Build a Business competition. ★ http://freakdesign.com.au
0 Likes
Highlighted
4 0 0

Id like a reply on this too.
The help screen basically says.. it calculates profit based on where the item had a product cost at the time of the transaction.

So if we entered all our product costs today.. we cant look at the profit for last month. Only for todays date moving forward.

This seems to be a stupid restriction. We should be able to backdate a product cost to whenever we started selling the item. 

Very frustrating. Im trying to work out the profit margin for a particular sales staff member but there is no way of doing this because last month, half the products didnt have costs entered. 

0 Likes
Highlighted
Excursionist
15 0 4

Well we have several reasons to use this, first of all, one of the our partners is an old man who do not understand a Computer very well, and to allow him full access to the Admin module Products could be a disaster, but his user account on the website could be given permission to see the Cost price, and along with that the profit. Using the code below.

And for me, I would find it much more easy to look thru our 5000 products on the User platform, to look for prices that needs adjustment, the User platform is much better than the Admin platform to do this, never ending task.

{% if customer and customer.tags contains 'admin' %}
 Vendor: {{ product.vendor }} <br> Cost Price: {{ product.cost }}
 {% endif %}
2 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
2294 116 341

@Sjalalen stow it in a metafield ; if it's a lot of products either through the api or using a spreadsheet app.

For a handful using the bulk editor

Problem Solved? ✔️Accept and ? Like the solution so you can help others.
Buy me a coffee ☕ paypal.me/paulnewton or donate to eff.org
Confused? Busy? Buy a custom solution paull.newton+shopifyforum@gmail.com
0 Likes