Product Description

ppt9355
Tourist
8 0 0

How long or how many words should a product description be?

0 Likes
Mircea_Piturca
Shopify Partner
1475 42 300

Not really a rule. I think that there is a balance between giving too much or too little. 

Think of the user, not SEO, and try to explain concisely the product features.

Finally—Add variant descriptions to your products
0 Likes
Cal
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
984 103 164

Hey @!

Cal here from Shopify, thanks for reaching out to us. As mentioned above, there is no hard or fast rule. 

Think about the product description as your sales pitch to your customer. They have clicked into the product because they are interested, it's now up to you to close the sale by offering just enough information, without overloading them. Use it to convince the customer that their interest is justified and move them further along the sales funnel. 

Our friends at Oberlo go into detail in one of those articles about how important product descriptions are here. If you're looking for some advice on how to write the most persuasive product descriptions, we also have a great guide over on our own blog here, which outlines some essential techniques, like ensure you are speaking to your ideal buyer in the product description and use of mini-stories to add some spice! 

Is this your first online store? 

Cal | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
ppt9355
Tourist
8 0 0

Thank you Cal.

This is my first store.  I was hiring someone to write the product descriptions.  They sent a sample and i was pleased i just thought it was long because i still have to keep all of the pertinent information in the description, like material, weight etc.

I was thinking like should it be no more than 2-3 sentences.

0 Likes
Cal
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
984 103 164

The length would vary depending on the product (you definitely don't want it either too short or too long), and what 'tone' you choose to have with your customer. Will the tone be formal? Or will it be humourous? There's a lot to consider with product descriptions.

If you'd like us to read one of them and provide you with some feedback on the work done so far, please feel free to leave a link here to one of your products! We'd be happy to let you know if you are on the right track. 

0 Likes
ppt9355
Tourist
8 0 0

Hello Cal,

i had them create a sample so it has not been added yet.  Is there a place i can attach a document or send you a private message with the product description?

0 Likes
Cal
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
984 103 164

Hi again, @ppt9355. I'd suggest just sharing the direct link to the product here, and I can take a look.

Thanks! 

0 Likes