Product Importing with Variants

Hurlz
Shopify Partner
2 0 0

I am trying to import my products via CSV.  I have a 100K+ SKUs where each each product has a base style # and variants, mostly size and color.  

I don't understand how Shopify will associate these items together. It would make sense if I could specify item or style # and then skus with the item # being the thing that ties them all together.   I need to have all the SKU associated with the products to ensure our fulfillment and inventory sync process does not break. 

0 Likes
Savannah_F
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
537 0 92

Hey, there!

Savannah here from the Shopify Guru Team.

Great question. :) Using the products csv, variants of the same product are actually grouped together using the handle. The handle is a part of the product's URL and tells the CSV where to route each variant. 

I thought it might be helpful for you to take a look at this sample from my shop. Take a look here. The handles are all the same because the product is a hat available in different colors. 

Let me know if that makes sense, or if there's anything else I can lend a hand with!

Savannah | Shopify Guru
support@shopify.com

Hurlz
Shopify Partner
2 0 0

Thanks.  That is helpful!

0 Likes
Jum
1 0 0

 Hi Savannah. I am having serious issues importing a csv into Shopify it keeps returning error messages that colours already excise. There is around 19,000 skus but only about 500 products. Each product has multiple sizes and loads of colours. Tried about 50 different variations and have been trying for 4 days with luck. Could someone help please 

7F2FDCF8-760F-4C9D-AD63-DC887DDD6E0B.jpeg

0 Likes