Product Specifications - Attributes

John_VSC
Tourist
6 0 1

I am exploring Shopify right now as we are considering moving our store off of Magento Community Edition.  We sell a lot of electronics and other products that have a long list of attributes (specifications) that we need to display on the page or in a tab on the page.

Magento is really easy to set this up using Attributes and Attribute Sets.

I don't want to copy and paste a table or a list in the body of the page as there are a variety of attributes that would be required based on the product type (TV, Computers, Projectors, etc) and they would all have different specs.

Is there a native way to do this in the Shopfiy backend or do I have to look for an addon?  I am currently playing around with the free trial to see if Shopify will work for us.

Thanks

0 Likes
Daryoush_Shabah
Shopify Staff (Retired)
Shopify Staff (Retired)
235 0 25

Hey John!

I'm Daryoush, on the superb Guru team! :)

Welcome to Shopify, that's so exciting! In the Shopify admin, each product can have up to 100 variants, and they can definitely be customized to fit your business! The product attributes can either be created natively in the Shopify admin or for an unlimited number of attributes, this can be done by using an app such as the free Infinite Options app. I also recommend taking a look into one of our apps, for example the Tabs - Tabbed Descriptions app to implement product pages with tabs. Alternatively, you can customize the code using this Shopify Doc without using an app.

Please let me know if this helps and have a lovely day!

Cheers,
Daryoush

0 Likes
John_VSC
Tourist
6 0 1

I'm sorry if I wasn't clear, I'm not looking to create variants of a product.  I'm looking to be able to create templates of sorts for TVs, Projectors, etc that have a group of information I need to fill into each one.  It would be best if there was an option for drop downs with preset data as well as plain text boxes depending on what information I am looking for, for that attribute.

Attached is a list of attributes/specs I have to fill in for a projector on our current Magento site.

0 Likes
Daryoush_Shabah
Shopify Staff (Retired)
Shopify Staff (Retired)
235 0 25

Hey John!

I definitely understand what you are referring to, I just thought I would include information about product variants. For the product attributes, this can be done either by using an app, or custom coding a separate product page template to include this information. You can also use the built-in Rich Text Edtior (RTE) to create a table with these attributes in their own columns and rows.

This is a quick mock-up I created:

Cheers,
Daryoush

0 Likes
PaulS
6 0 0

Hi John_VSC,

Just wanted to check if you had received any further responses to your query or have found a way to get this done? I have exactly the same issue where we are looking at moving from Magento to Shopify but need to have a long list of product specifications/attributes which are searchable. Magento handles this quiet well but for some reason I could still not find a proper solution to do this in Shopify yet.

Any guidance or links would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

0 Likes

Hi, 
We have successfully migrated the products from magento to shopify,  Yes magento have the attributes but here in shopify you don't find them everything is in plain text Product Specifications, etc .  We can assist you in your migration process Please let me know if you looking for Shopify support

0 Likes
PaulS
6 0 0

Hi AshokRawat,

Thank you for your reply. Yes we are looking for a Shopify expert for our project but only after our primary concern is addressed. The products you migrated from Magento to Shopify, did they have attributes or were simpler products? What do you mean they will be in plain text, as I'm guessing they will no longer be searchable/filterable attributes? Our business/products are highly dependant on the product specs so not sure what's the point in migrating to Shopify if it can't perform such a basic functionality?

Regards

0 Likes
SamB1
4 0 0
I too have been looking at this functionality and could find a way to do it.

My guess this is why shopify is used by many fashion retailers etc that don’t need this type of functionality.
0 Likes
PaulNewton
Shopify Partner
2588 134 445

@SamB1 wrote:
I too have been looking at this functionality and could find a way to do it.

My guess this is why shopify is used by many fashion retailers etc that don’t need this type of functionality.

If you the amount of attributes is small you can use product tags or the variant options themselves.

If the amount of attributes data is high use metafields https://help.shopify.com/en/manual/products/metafields

Problem Solved? ✔️Accept and ? Like the solution so you can help others.
Buy me a coffee ☕ paypal.me/paulnewton or donate to eff.org
Confused? Busy? Buy a custom solution paull.newton+shopifyforum@gmail.com
0 Likes
emaster
Tourist
4 0 1

Hi,

I'm wondering if there is such a concept in Shopify as "Attribute Sets"  for different categories/  as they are in Magento. I'm aware of creating collections and then filtering them with tags.

but jewelry tags ( filter options)  like metal and stones are not relevant to clothing and are showing in the clothing collection.

https://www.fashionplaza.com.au/collections/sleepwear

How I can set separate filters ( tags)  for each category,   So jewellery filter options  doesn’t show in clothing