Product Type, Vendor and Tags

Highlighted
Shopify Partner
9 0 1

Hi,

Can anybody please explain me about Product Type, Vendor and Tags?

I would like to know can the names of these above can be same.

Eg.:

If I have define a Product Type as Vanities, can I have the same tag name added "Vanities" in tags.

If I have define a Vendor as Polaris, can I have the same tag name added "Polaris" in tags.

I am very confused about the Product Type, Vendor and Tagging at moment.

Thanks,

Mickey 

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
97 1 16

Hey Mickey, 

I'm Zuzanna, a Guru here at Shopify :)

What a great question! Essentially, all three of those details on a product page will be optional, however, they are all there to help you organize your products. You can definitely use the same Tag and Product Vendor, or the same Product Type and Tag, it just depends on what works for you and your store. 

The Vendor is, for the most part, used to mark down the manufacturer, wholesaler, or another vendor for the product. Vendors are not visible to customers. Something that people will use Product Vendors for is to filter your product list by the vendor within your admin, which can speed up ordering inventory.

Tags are searchable keywords associated with your product, and you can use as many tags on a product as you want. Tags can help customers find your product through your online store search, and you can also use them to create automated collections or to find specific groups of products within your admin.

Product types are a category for the product that you can, again, use to organize products. Examples of product types would be things like shirt, pants, or accessories. You can use product type as a condition for an automated collection or filter through your products within your admin as well.

I hope this helps! If you have any more questions or concerns feel free to reach out to us here :) 

Have a great one,
Zuzanna

6 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
9 0 1

Oh! Thank you so much for the comprehensive clarification. I am grateful that you are on shopify.

I am facing some errors while showing propducts types, because I have included the same product type and same tag name for the product type. Some are showing up, but some aren't showing up.

The same is happening with the vendor list, only a few are showing up and others aren't showing up.

I thought the problem is with tagging, as I am tagging with the same name, but then I removed the tagging and realised the product types and vendor list all vanished after I removed the tagging for the same names as of product type and vendor name.

The product list was imported as CVS with 6000+ products.

Could you make me understand, what could have been the problem?

Thanks,

Mickey : )

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
9 0 1

Waiting for your reply. I have added products types, sizes, brands, colors, but why are they all not showing in the left sidebar?

What could be the problem, as you said the tags can be the same?

Thanks,

Mickey

0 Likes
Highlighted

Hi @Mickey2, I made a video tutorial for you on how to know Product Type, Vendor and Tags. Hope this helps!
https://www.askquesty.com/post/product-type-vendor-and-tags-shopify-tutorial

2 Likes
Highlighted
Anonymous
Not applicable
905 0 58

Hi I can get the task done for you 

email at aliamadkhan@hotmail.com

0 Likes
Highlighted
1 0 0
Thank you for sharing that clear video.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Pathfinder
139 3 15

Hi,

This article explains what is product types in Shopify and how to add it to your online store. Please take a minute to look at it.

DM me for more information in case you need :D

I'm Jason Dao, Manager of Research & Development Department at Avada Ecommerce.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
6 1 0

This article is not very helpful. It's quite verbose and written in poor English. It reads like an attempt to boost your SEO. I think you should fix the grammatical mistakes (or pay someone to) and don't use so many words to convey simple concepts. As a native speaker, I had a hard time taking anything useful away from it - sorry.

0 Likes