Product Types vs Collections

Highlighted
Shopify Partner
2 0 0

I am new to Shopify and in the process of developing an online store. My question concerns the difference between the Product Type field and the Collection field. What is your advice on how best to use these fields? I plan to import our products using the Excel CSV option but I don't see Product Type called out in the spreadsheet. I would really like to use Product Types to segregate products into bins like "Furniture", "Decor", "Wall Hangings", etc and collections for broader organization like "The Emerson Bolton Collection" which will include products across all types.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
15 0 2

Hi Michael, sounds like you have it correct - when I am working on customers stores I recommend use the Product Type field to represent the top level grouping for the product as you state. It should be in the CSV export, after Vendor called Type (5th column). From there you can create as many collections as you need to further group your products, such as by price, tags, or even just manual collections.

0 Likes
Highlighted
1 0 2

Hi Brad,

Would you mind elaborating on why the Product Type should represent the top level grouping (tops, bottoms, dresses, etc.) instead of a sublevel (tank tops, tshirts, shorts, skirts, etc.)?

For reporting and sales analysis purposes we thought that setting the Product Type in the sublevel category would make more sense so we can compare tank tops vs tshirts or tshirts vs tunics to see if there's one type of top that sells better than others. If we were to set the Product Type at the top level, would we still be able to analyze the sublevels like in the example?

Any insight is much appreciated!

Highlighted
Tourist
3 0 0

Hey Carolina, did you ever get an answer here? I share your question. 

0 Likes