Product cost mark up

Highlighted
4 0 0

Is there automation for when you add a product and insert cost in the "cost per item" column that will automatically add a certain percentage markup? It seems doing this manually is the only way that can be a huge time factor.

FIsherman_0-1598885883857.png

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
388 31 53

Hey, @FIsherman!

Ash here from the Shopify team. This is a great question, thank you for reaching out. 

At this time, there isn't a function directly in the admin which would apply a markup to the products price based on the cost, but I have a solution which would eliminate some of the manual work! You're able to export your products from Shopify into a CSV file, which can then be opened and edited in a spreadsheet program of your choice. By setting up formulas in the CSV file, you could make the price column auto-fill with a markup based on the cost entered, or vice-versa. Once the prices and costs are updated to your preferences, you can re-import the file to your store, and select the option while importing to have the file overwrite existing products. 

Before getting started with this, I suggest reading over our documentation regarding CSV files to get familiarized with how to use them. You can find our CSV documentation here in our Help Center. I also suggest exporting your initial product list twice, once to edit, and the other to keep as a backup file.

I hope this helps speed up the process of updating your products pricing, and feel free to reply back here if you need any further guidance with this. 

Ash | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
Highlighted
4 0 0
Thanks. That helps. Sometimes, when looking at my product, there is a cost
per, mark up, and price where I can simply key in the information. Other
times, there is nothing but a bulk editor option which can be quite the
pain with a lot of products. I can't imagine having to manage 1,000
products without automation.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
388 31 53

Happy to assist! As for the difference between product views you describe, I can help clear that up! To access the product view where you can see the cost, mark up, and price, etc. for one product, head over to the Products section of the admin and click on a single product. From there you'll be able to access all of that products information, and make changes to that specific product. To access the bulk editor however, you can select multiple products from the list in your Products section, and then click "Edit products" to enter the bulk editor. We also have a handy help document here which goes over how to access and use the bulk editor for products. 

I hope this helps, and feel free to reach out any time! 

Ash | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
Highlighted
Excursionist
31 1 1

Hi Fisherman,

This is something that Vesta eCommerce can do for you in bulk as part of its automatic supplier product data solution. Check out our website www.vesta.us and contact me if you’d like to know more.

Regards,

Greg 

0 Likes