Product cost

Highlighted
1 0 1

Why is the product cost "lost" when importing products to the store? Whether using Oberlo or any other app the initial product cost is never imported as "Cost per Item" so it's very difficult to automatically calculate COG and correct margin/profit.

Or have I missed something here!?

Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
687 51 152

Hi, @zuntree!

Julie, here from Shopify Support.

That’s a great question. When it comes to importing products from dropshipping apps into your Shopify Admin, the cost per item is not imported, so it can be difficult to determine what your profit is just from looking at your reports within Shopify. 

Of course, you can manually add the cost per item for products in the Shopify Admin. Then, you can generate a profit report which is available if you are on the Shopify plan or higher. However, this can be quite a feat if you have already imported a ton of products. 

Which dropshipping app are you using? If you are using Oberlo, then you can actually view your margin/profit through the Oberlo Dashboard, where you will be able to see a Total Earning Report. This report takes into account the actual cost of the product, so you can see how much you have profited. If you’re using an app other than Oberlo, then there is likely a similar report you can access directly within the app.

With Oberlo, you can also choose to automatically mark up your product prices using global pricing rules, which would give you a good sense of your profit margins. With global pricing rules, you’ll have the option to automatically set prices based on a fixed markup or a multiplier. In your case, I would recommend using the multiplier rule to automatically increase your product prices; this should make it a bit easier to track your profit margins.

Another way you can determine your profit is to export your orders from Oberlo, where you can see how much the customer paid for the order vs. how much you paid for it. However, it's important to note here that Oberlo does not import the shipping options, therefore the reports do not include the shipping costs.

Oberlo actually has a Profit Margin Calculator that you may find useful. This tool easily allows you to determine selling prices for your products in order to save money and increase profits. If you haven’t already come across this, it might be worth checking out. 

Importing the product cost from Oberlo to the Shopify Admin is actually a pretty common request from merchants like yourself and I can definitely see how this would be valuable. We actually have a system in place for sending feedback and suggestions up to our developers so I will make sure that your feedback gets added to this particular feature request. 

How are you calculating your profit at the moment? Do you have a lot of products?

Julie | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Click Accept as Solution 

Highlighted
2 0 1

Julie, I'd like an answer to this as well.  The Product contains price and cost_compare_to but the cost is not in there.  Profit would be price-cost in this case.  But the cost of the product isn't in the JSON for a product.  I feel like it should be.  Can that be added to the Product API?

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
687 51 152

Hi, @Tim777!

That's correct; the product cost isn't something that the Oberlo app automatically imports into Shopify. I completely agree with you that this should be a core feature within the app and can definitely see how it would make reporting much easier. That being said, I have sent @zuntree's feedback up to our developers as a feature request and I will be sure to add your name to the existing request as well. In the meantime, keep an eye out on our Changelog and Announcements pages for updates. 

If you're looking to integrate this using an API, it might be worth checking in with a Shopify Expert or someone skilled in web development to see if it's possible. There are many experts in our Experts Marketplace with experience in API and custom code, so I highly recommend getting in touch with one directly if you're looking for a custom solution.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
11 0 3

Was a solution found to this?

@Julie wrote:

Hi, @Tim777!

That's correct; the product cost isn't something that the Oberlo app automatically imports into Shopify. I completely agree with you that this should be a core feature within the app and can definitely see how it would make reporting much easier. That being said, I have sent @zuntree's feedback up to our developers as a feature request and I will be sure to add your name to the existing request as well. In the meantime, keep an eye out on our Changelog and Announcements pages for updates. 

If you're looking to integrate this using an API, it might be worth checking in with a Shopify Expert or someone skilled in web development to see if it's possible. There are many experts in our Experts Marketplace with experience in API and custom code, so I highly recommend getting in touch with one directly if you're looking for a custom solution.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
687 51 152

Hi, @Easyathome. Thanks for reaching out. 

At the moment, it is still not currently possible to import the "cost per item" from Oberlo to Shopify. I do understand that this is a feature that many merchants would like, however, and I would be happy to pass along your request to our developers as well.

Is your main reason for wanting to view your product cost in Shopify to help track your overall profit? If so, how are you currently tracking this? Have you considered one of the suggested workarounds above?

0 Likes
Highlighted
1 0 0

I've just seen this thread after having the same issues myself but, after seeing Julie saying this would be reported to developers back in 2019, and again in May 2020 and still no resolution. I am finding so many unbelievable flaws in Shopify without any real hope of a solution other than saying "I'll send feedback to developers". It's really backwards to use a platform like Oberlo which calculates all the costs that a seller needs and the minute you hit that import to Shopify button all hell breaks loose. It doesn't keep the original link of the product and it doesn't imports the costs so we can see our profit clearly laid out. It's just so counterintuitive that a shopping platform as large as  Shopify wouldn't consider this to be a vital element or feature of the importing process especially when vendors are importing hundreds of items that we need to keep track of. So, finally, I asked the question when will this become a permanent feature of Shopify? Who do I need to speak to to make this happen because clearly reporting this to developer's is just getting lost in the shuffle as they're not taking any notice about a basic feature but should be there by default.

0 Likes
Highlighted
1 0 0

Dilema I'm in is I've imported hundreds of products with many variants to my Shopify store equaling thousands of products.  Now all products show $0 cost.  I want to make shipping free by including it in the cost of the product to buyers.  However, can't do such because I have no clue how much my products costs.  How can I price thousands of products if there isn't a cost imported by Shopify?  

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
687 51 152

Thanks for joining in on the conversation, @Mknopp and @archie72.

I do agree that this is a feature that many dropshippers using Shopify would find useful. I've gone ahead and submitted both of your requests to our developers. While I don't have any concrete details on if or when this feature will be released, I can tell you that your feedback isn't going unnoticed.

I also appreciate you shedding some light on how this is affecting your business, @Mknopp, and I understand that it can be quite time-consuming to manually price thousands of products. Are you already taking advantage of Oberlo's global pricing rules? With global pricing rules, you’ll have the option to automatically set prices based on a fixed markup or a multiplier of your product cost. You can also choose to apply global pricing rules to existing products, which can save you a lot of time if you have to update thousands of products. 

If you'd like to include the cost of shipping in your product price, then I recommend making sure that you are applying a global pricing rule that will cover the cost of shipping while still providing you with healthy profit margins. As you work on your pricing strategy, Oberlo also has some information on how to determine prices for dropshipped products that you may find useful. 

Again, thank you very much for your feedback. I hope this is something that our developers can implement in the near future. In the meantime, please keep an eye out on our changelog for future updates! 

0 Likes
Highlighted
2 0 3

As the other sellers above, I find absurd that there is no way to automatically track costs and shipping once Oberlo products are imported into Shopify. I really hope this gets resolved, and soon considering how old this thread is. Please add my name to the request.