Product exchange

Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
312 27 65

Hi, @BLKPNTS1!

My apologies for the delay in getting back to you. I'm waiting to hear an update on this as we speak. As it's Sunday, I don't expect to receive a reply today, but it was pushed slightly due to the release of the new Shopify Admin last week. There were a couple of hiccups with that release, but now they've been ironed out, we're just waiting on the green light.

I'm excited to share the changes with you, and you'll be the first to know as soon as I've got some solid information.

Thanks so much for your patience!

Miles | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
312 27 65

Hi @BLKPNTS1!

Today is the day! Below, I've outlined a little about what returns will look like for online orders. I just want to note, we are doing a gradual roll-out this week, so it may not be live just yet in your store. This is also a very new release, so feedback is essential. If something isn't working as planned, please let me know so I can provide the feedback to our team for you so we can keep making the process better and better.

You can create a return from an existing order that has at least one fulfilled line item that has not yet been refunded. If no line items have been fulfilled, then you should refund and restock the order instead. If your order has been archived, it must be unarchived before you can create the return.

After you create a return, you can send any return shipping information to your customer and track the return. Use the Orders page to manage all of your returns by filtering on the return status. After you receive and inspect the items, you can issue a refund, and restock applicable items.

You can't cancel returns.

1. From your Shopify admin, go to Orders.
  2. Click the order that you want to refund.
  3. Click Return items. If the order is archived, then you're prompted to unarchive the order before proceeding.
  4. Enter the quantity of items in the order that are being returned.
  5. In the Return shipping options section, select one of the following options:
    • Select Create return label to create a return shipping label for your customer. This option is only available if your primary location and customer shipping address are both set and in the US.
    • Select Enter tracking information and enter the Tracking number and Shipping carrier if you have this information.
    • Select No return shipping to create a return without any return shipping information.
  6. Click Create return.

If you choose to create a return label, you're prompted to create and send the label. For instructions, refer to creating and sending return labels.

I'm excited to share this new feature with you. As I mentioned earlier, if you have any questions or feedback, please let me know!

0 Likes
Highlighted
Excursionist
12 0 3

@Miles,  Oh wow this is disappointing - we must have got our wires crossed i asked to be able to exchnage items the same was POS does - nothing at all about generating return labels - i can very easily return and refund products the issue i have an the original poster have is exchnaging items. 

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
312 27 65

Hi @BLKPNTS1!

Just a quick message to let you know I've not forgotten to reply to you. It seems we did have our wires slightly crossed, so I apologise for that.

In the background, I've been working on testing this feature out for you and tried to process a return item to an order, then add in a new product as an exchange. At the moment, this is not working as it's still requiring the customer to be refunded and then pay for the new item instead of just a simple exchange. I'm currently chatting with our products team to come up with a solution. I cannot guarantee anything just yet, so I'll let you know if I get any headway.

I wanted to leave this message here just so you know I'm not ignoring this and I'm gonna do my best to get this working for your needs. It's something a lot of merchants are asking about for sure.

Thanks!

0 Likes
Highlighted
2 0 2

Hi @Miles,

Thanks for following up the product exchange feature request, this is something we are also interested in.

Is there a dedicated feature request/forum for this that we can 'vote' or show our support for?

Thanks

Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
312 27 65

Hi, @Jacques12!

Our feature request program is an internal process we use here at Shopify. We don't currently have a public version, but that in itself is a great idea. In the meantime, I'll raise this as it's own request to our developers.

In regards to the exchange feature, I'll keep you in the loop as well with any updates I get on this. I don't anticipate to have much movement on it this week, so keep an eye peeled next for an update, even if the update is that there are none.

I appreciate you tagging onto this thread. Please feel free to browse around the community and add in any feedback you're interested in seeing implemented. Many hands make light work, so it's awesome to see you on board.

Cheers!

0 Likes
Highlighted
Excursionist
12 0 3

Thanks @Miles , I look forward to hearing from you eventually!

Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
312 27 65

Hi @BLKPNTS1 and @Jacques12!

Thanks so much for your patience while I looked into this for you both. At this stage, manual returns is not an option we're able to add just yet. I've added both your details to the feedback so our team can look at this in future.

In the meantime, I've had a look at some potential workarounds for you. We have a few different apps in the Shopify App Store that may be useful. I've narrowed down 2 that might be of some interest to you though.

• AfterShip Returns Center

• Free plan available
    • Customers submit returns in just a few clicks without emailing your customer support.
    • Notify customers of acceptance, rejection, exchange and/or refund in a timely manner.
  • Returnly

• From $29/month. 14-day free trial.
    • Provide customers with an easy way to initiate returns and exchanges through a fully branded and customizable returns portal.
    • Track and monitor return reasons, real-time feedback and user engagement to build better experiences at every stage.

I understand extra cost can be hard, but one of those apps does have a free option for up to 3 returns per month, so depending on your volume of returns, it may be useful.

If you have any questions at all, please let me know.

0 Likes
Highlighted
2 0 2

Thanks @Miles,

Appreciate the info and support.

It would be fantastic if Shopify eventually offered a stand-alone solution; I look forward to any future updates.

Highlighted
Excursionist
12 0 3

@ miles,
I already have a work around - in actual fact it works really well.
- I use the existing return product feature in shopify but rather than refund for 0.00 I just refund 0.01, then it registers it as a refund (0.00 refunds don't sync to my main system so the stock wasn't being registered a being returned there) and 0.01 is something I can live with and the customers don't question (also allows me to really easily report on the number of exchanges verses refunds i have each month). I then make a second order for the customer and discount the product to 0.00
The biggest problem is I shouldn't have to work around like this, I should be able to return a product and sell a product on the same invoice, especially since the feature is available on POS
Also the fact that shopify doesn't allow negative quantities in the eCommerce side is also the reason why non of the 3rd party apps you suggested will never be able to actually do a better job of working around than my way above.

@Jacques12  a place where we could vote for feature and suggest features is an amazing idea, maybe then it would stop multiple discussion request for the same feature and actually highlight what we the users require.

0 Likes