Product exchange

Highlighted
Tourist
9 0 2

Most of my products are the same price.

After my customer placed an order, she asked me to change it to other item after I already fulfilled on the system.

I couldn't find anywhere to process that request.

I ended up just manually adding/ reducing inventory.

Am I missing something?

I use debut.

My website is 

www.megsmasks.com

Thank you!

Meg 

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
312 27 65

Hi, @MegT!

I'm Miles from the Social Care team at Shopify. Great question!

Once an order is marked as fulfilled, it's not able to be edited, however, you can always unfulfil it which will make the order editable again. To unfulfill an order, and edit it, follow these steps:

1. Check the order is not archived by going into the order and clicking "More Actions" next to "Edit". See screenshot. Click "Unarchive" if the order is archived.
  2. Click "More" underneath the fulfilled products and then click "Cancel Fulfillment". See Screenshot.
  3. Now the order is unfulfilled, you're able to click edit at the top of the order to replace the item with a new one.

There are a couple of things to be aware of when editing orders, such as keeping an eye on the shipping and discounts on the order, as they may also need manual intervention when editing an order. You can learn more about that here: https://bit.ly/2Tzg0LX.

Thanks again for the question.

Have a great day.

Miles | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
Highlighted
Excursionist
12 0 3

Hi @Miles,

Is there any plan for the future for Online exchanges to be able to be processed the same way as POS - Return one item (-1) and sell one item (+1).

It is quite ridiculous to not have a simple refund receipt or exchange procedure for online stores when you must be aware of the number of exchanges arising from online sales.
This would eliminate numerous problems especially with the work around most people are using by return the stock but not refunding the money and they selling the new item at $0.00. Stock is correct but profit margins on items are very skewed.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
312 27 65

Hi, @BLKPNTS1!

Thanks for your feedback on this. We do have some feedback on this provided by other merchants, so I'll add in the points you've raised as well. At this stage, I can't guarantee it's something Shopify will implement, but I can tell you that it's being actively looked at at the moment. I totally agree that it's a feature that's worth adding in, so hopefully we can get something going for you.

In the meantime, there are some workarounds that you can use while we look into the functionality for you. I've listed them below, but feel free to let me know if they're not suitable.

• Refund + restock, then have customer repurchase or send them a draft order
  • Issue gift cards as store credit
  • Use Shopify POS for store credit
  • Discount codes can be created for a customer
  • "reward" apps like Loyalty Lion or Swell Rewards

I understand these workarounds aren't ideal, but as I mentioned above, we are aware this feature is widely requested and are working on if it's something we can include in the platform.

We're here 24/7 if you have any questions at all.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Excursionist
12 0 3

Hi @Miles,

Thank you for the ideas - however my current workaround doesn't involve the customer having to do anymore work than just sending the product back to me, which is the goal, the easiest customer experience I can provide. As I don't have bricks and mortar store so our online experience is all they have. It would also be preferable to send them a new invoice showing he return of the previous item and the purchase of the new item. A record of the whole transaction.
I am just trying to reduce manual work, extra steps, and more opportunity for errors while increasing the accuracy of my reports.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
312 27 65

Hey, @BLKPNTS1!

I come to you today with some news. Shopify is launching online returns for merchants without physical stores on October 19! We're still working on adding public help guides to our Help Center, but I thought I would let you know in advance as you brought up this concern last week, but remember it won't be available until October 19. The return workflow is available for orders that have at least 1 fulfilled line item that has not been refunded. If no line items have been fulfilled, the order should be refunded and/or restocked instead. Creating a return will be a non-reversible action.

After the launch, I'll reply to this thread once more with some more specific instructions on how to process returns, but I hope this new process will be helpful to you!

As always, please let me know if you have any questions at all.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Excursionist
12 0 3

Hey @Miles,

Very exciting news! I will be excited to see how it works on the 19th. Thank you for letting me know.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
312 27 65

Hi, @BLKPNTS1!

Just wanted to send you a quick note to say that the new feature is now rolling out on Wednesday, so I will be in touch then!

Thanks!

0 Likes
Highlighted
Excursionist
12 0 3

@MilesI cant wait!

0 Likes
Highlighted
Excursionist
12 0 3

@Miles, is there any updates?