Product images disappeared

2 0 0

We noticed a lot of images have disappeared from our webshop.

It seems to only apply to secondary product images, we haven't encountered any products (yet) that do not have an image at all.

Is this a CDN issue and how do we resolve it / prevent it from happening again after re-uploading all missing images?

0 Likes
Shopify Expert
1086 87 243

Are you sure it's not a display issue in your theme code? ... or maybe uploading by spreadsheet and overwriting?

I haven't heard of product images deleting themselves.

If you believe it's a website issue send the URL and we can take a look.

Founder of Speed Boostr (Shopify optimization experts, theme customization, custom app development).
Creator of Shopify Analyzer (first performance analysis tool for Shopify sites, free for the Shopify community).
Creator of Order Automator (auto tag orders and customers + auto fulfill orders + email notifications).
Creator of Theme Scientist (A/B testing app) and Tip Jar (add a tip button to your store).
0 Likes
2 0 0

Hi Joe,

it is neither a display issue in our theme code (images are missing in the back end as well) or uploading by spreadsheet and overwriting (we don't).

FYI; I've found multiple instances where people raise the same issue here on the Shopify discussion panel, without any resolution besides them simply re-uploading the images themselves.

An example of a product where it happened:
https://misc-store.com/collections/1012-terra/products/1012-terra-terra-hydro-80-80

This is the image url for the image shown:
https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0072/3104/5683/products/1012-Terra-Hydro-XS-0.jpg

Our product image name taxonomy is numbered at the end, so the next image in this case is simply 1012-Terra-Hydro-XS-1.jpg

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0072/3104/5683/products/1012-Terra-Hydro-XS-1.jpg does not return anything

For a quite a few (seemingly random) products, the (secondary) images just vanished.

0 Likes
Shopify Expert
1086 87 243

In that case I would contact Shopify support. Maybe they can check their logs to see what action caused the products to be deleted.

Founder of Speed Boostr (Shopify optimization experts, theme customization, custom app development).
Creator of Shopify Analyzer (first performance analysis tool for Shopify sites, free for the Shopify community).
Creator of Order Automator (auto tag orders and customers + auto fulfill orders + email notifications).
Creator of Theme Scientist (A/B testing app) and Tip Jar (add a tip button to your store).
0 Likes
1 0 0

Hello  LeondeR

0 Likes
Excursionist
33 0 18

We also have this problem. Anyone identify problem/solution and why it might be occurring?

Randomly all except perhaps one image disappears in a product with no variants, or all images except the first image linked to a variant in a product with variants. This is happening frequently and regularly.

0 Likes
2 0 0

We're also experiencing this issue with secondary product images disappearing. I have recently exported all products to update tags and then re-import, however I didn't touch the image column on the csv import so don't think this should have affected anything. 

Would LOVE if someone has an answer on this problem. We have over 500 products so it's a VERY time consuming task to re-upload images (particularly when we don't know why it happened and whether it will happen again.

OUr shopify site is integrated with VEND POS, however they have told me that the image handling should be managed in SHOPIFY and their software shouldn't be impacting this.

HELP!

0 Likes
Excursionist
33 0 18

Hello all

Happily we were able to solve this problem and it required some detective work. We tracked back to when this problem with images disappearing started to occur. Then we looked at other activities that occurred around the same timeline, luckily we could see that there had been an import of the product feed with tags which were part of a contractor (SEO Google Ads) project. 

0 Likes