Product in cart automatically erased when browsing product page.

EcomBBB
Tourist
10 0 1

Hi,

I am having a weird issue: when adding a product to the cart and then going to another product page the cart is emptied, all the content of the cart is erased. This seems to be happening only on iOS WebView and it's working just fine on Safari and Chrome. 

I already tried the original theme (Boundless) to see if it was coming from theme modifications but the same thing is happening. I also tried disabling all Apps one by one but still not working, the strangest things is that no changes have been done and it seems this came out of nowhere. 

Here is a video of the issue clearly shown: https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0318/8280/5379/files/RPReplay_Final1614189644.mov?v=1614190100

Could you please provide some guidance here?

Thanks, take care.

Ben

0 Likes
Tira
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
960 57 151

Hey, Ben.

Tira here to help.

Thanks so much for taking the time to dig into this on your own and for the screen recording, I appreciate it. This is strange. 

It sounds like this is an issue with the browser or mobile device that you’re using. You mentioned that the product cart appears empty when you use iOS WebView, but not on other browsers. I took the store URL from your video and I asked a colleague to try this on their iPhone and they were unable to replicate the issue. I also tried it on my Android phone as well and I was not able to replicate this, we can both see that our cart contents are still in the cart even when navigating to another product page.

I want to do some troubleshooting with you and I have a few questions:

• You mentioned this came out of nowhere. Did you find that your cart was showing the items before?
  • What version of iPhone and iOS are you using? I recommend updating your iOS to see if this would help. 
  • Are you able to try this on a different iOS device to see if it works for you? 

I would love to know if this helps.

Tira | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
EcomBBB
Tourist
10 0 1

Hi Tira,

Thanks for getting back to me, I appreciate your feedback. 

Just to clarify, this is not happening on Google Chrome or Safari but only on iOS web-view which is when the store url is opened from like our facebook page, our instagram page or even our pinterest page on an iOS device. Everything work fine on both Google Chrome and Safari which is very weird. 

The website have been running for over a year and suddenly we started receiving message from dozens of customers saying they are having issues with their cart, we use facebook advertising so iOS user will open our website in iOS web view. This is how we discovered the issue. 

I am using iOS14.4 and my phone is fully up to date so it seems it's not related to that unfortunately. I also tried on my wife's device which is also running iOS14.4 and the same issue is happening. 

I have done some extensive research about it an it seems perhaps it is related to a cart caching issue that wouldn't work only on iOS webview.

Let me know if you have any other feedback, thanks!

Ben.

0 Likes
EcomBBB
Tourist
10 0 1

Tira,

After further investigating I have additional info to share:

1- the issue is only happening when a currency different than the default store currency (USD) is selected. I already tried using a few different currency switcher app but it doesn't seem to solve it plus the current app worked for over a year so that would be strange it's actually coming from the app

2- it seems the cart is emptied only when browsing to a product page. The cart content is preserved if browsing collections or other type of pages.

I hope this helps to further look into it. 

0 Likes
Tira
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
960 57 151

Wow, thanks so much for all of these details, Ben! I really appreciate you digging into this on your own and for the context. 

I dug into this as well with our support team for themes. After taking a look at your theme, I noticed that it was a customized free Shopify theme, and this would be outside our scope of support. Please check out our Design Policy which outlines what is outside our scope of support. 

What I recommend is to reach out to the person or company that customized your theme, they may be able to provide some additional insight on why the cart is emptied out when a different currency is selected, and when navigating to a different product page. I viewed your page source to see if I could identify any errors and I did notice there is a line in your script that says, “Cart is empty, please use Google Chrome or Safari browser if you are experiencing issues.” I tried to replicate this in my test store using the Boundless theme that you mentioned, and I could not locate the same error in my theme’s code. I am thinking that this may have been added by the person who customized your theme. I also recommend checking out our Supported Browsers help doc and passing this along to the developer, as well as this forums post so that they have the context they need to look into this for you. 

Do you know the name of the developer who helped you customize your theme? I would love to know who they are and help you look into how you can contact them. 

If you’re unsure of who the developer is, I recommend reaching out to a Shopify Expert to help. Shopify Experts can help with customizations on your store and further troubleshooting. You can find a list of our experts here: Theme Customization Shopify Experts.

What are your thoughts?

0 Likes
EcomBBB
Tourist
10 0 1

Hi Tira,

Thanks for your quick reply. 

Actually the theme is not customized, it's the Boundless Theme and we are only using a few Apps to run specific functions on it such as changing the photo gallery, etc... I have also done some minor modifications myself but we do not have a specific theme developer for it. 

In regards to the line "Cart is empty, please use Google Chrome or Safari browser if you are experiencing issues." I actually added this directly in the theme language myself to inform customer in case they are facing the issue so that they know they have to use a different browser. 

At this point I don't really know what to do except perhaps reaching out to a Shopify Expert. 

Thanks.

0 Likes
Tira
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
960 57 151

Hey, @EcomBBB

Thanks for letting me know about this. Were you able to reach out to a Shopify Expert to help?

If you have and are open to it, please keep the community and I in the loop in this thread so that if anyone comes across this topic they can learn about this too. 

Cheers,

0 Likes
Tira
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
960 57 151

Hey, @EcomBBB.

Tira here, again.

I just wanted to follow-up with you on whether you were able to find a solution for this? I am wondering if there are some apps that could be interfering with your theme's code, causing the cart to be empty. Can you please let me know?

Thank you, 

0 Likes