Why is my new product page showing a 404 error?

edvin017
Tourist
11 0 1

Hi 

I deleted a product and then created a new one. Now my productpage wont show (it says 404 not found). I have checked the website SEO and everything seems to be correct. Pls help

Reply 1 (1)

Miles
Shopify Staff (Retired)
480 68 158

Hi, @edvin017!

I'm Miles from the Social Care team at Shopify. I will be happy to help you fix this issue.

When you are navigating to your product, are you doing so via a link in your menu or navigation? If so, the issue might be that the old product is still linked to the menu, and you may need to update the link. To do this, you can follow these steps:

1. From your Shopify Admin, head to Online Store > Navigation.
  2. Click on the menu (or menus) that your product is linked in.
  3. In the Menu items section, click Edit beside the name of the item.
  4. Make any changes:
    • To change the name of the menu item, enter text in the Name field.
    • To change the destination of the menu item, click the x in the Link field, and then enter or select a new destination.
  5. Apply changes and save the menu.

Check out our guide on adding, removing, or editing menu items for more help.

If this isn't the issue, check that your product is active in your Online Store. By default, new products are created as a draft, so it may be that your new product is still not active. To check which products are listed as a draft and change them to active, simply do the following:

1. Head to Products and click on the product you're wanting to edit.
  2. On the right, you'll see a field called "status" with a dropdown option.
  3. Set one of the following statuses.
    • Active: the product details are complete and the product is available to be displayed in the sales channels.
    • Draft: the product details need to be completed before they can be displayed in the sales channels.
    • Archived: the product details are complete, but the product is no longer for sale. Archiving a product hides it from your admin and sales channels. You can find the archive button at the bottom of the product details page.
  4. Save your product.

To learn more about this, you can view our guide on adding and updating products.

Without links and screenshots, the suggestions above are based on hypotheticals. If the above options don't resolve your issues, please reply to this thread with links, screenshots and a detailed explanation of the issue and I'll be able to have a better idea of what the issue may be.

To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Community Blog.