Product(s) in your store have been identified as violating Shopify’s AUP

TylerBrowne
Tourist
3 0 1

We have received our second email from Shopify falsely accusing us of Policy Violations related to the Acceptable Use Policy.  They have been removing products from webstores and in some cases shutting down stores entirely.  They claim to be enforcing "Price Gouging" policies, but are not providing any evidence to backup their claims.  I went to go review the Shopify Terms of Service and was disturbed to see that they explicitly state their right to remove products or entire websites "At their sole Discretion."

https://www.shopify.com/legal/terms

"We may, but have no obligation to, remove Materials and suspend or terminate Accounts if we determine in our sole discretion that the goods or services offered via a Store, or the Materials uploaded or posted to a Store, violate our Acceptable Use Policy (“AUP”) or these Terms of Service."

If you are an existing Shopify customer, were you aware that their terms of service allow this?  How does this potentially affect your ability to conduct business on the platform?  I am trying to judge interest in this topic and may present it at an upcoming eCommerce conference.

Thank you for your input,

Replies 9 (9)

BobsMojo
Shopify Partner
449 44 113

Hi @TylerBrowne 

You will find these terms on every e-commerce hosting service and every marketplace. If you sell on the big 'A' ... HOLY COW you will run into this on a frequent basis, and the appeal process is ungodly frustrating over there.

Have not had this issue on Shopify, so I can't really speak to how easy or difficult it is to appeal it here. However, I can fully understand the frustration of dealing with incorrect/fraudulent claims against legitimate products. Wish you the best of luck getting it resolved, and would GREATLY appreciate any follow up you can offer here if/when you are able to get it resolved (for future reference).

shufflegig
Visitor
1 0 0

how to apeal?

im facing this problem

Healing
Visitor
2 0 2

It does not make sense that we can not get to talk with a live person to resolve a nin issue that is arbitrary created by shopify. I am not violeting any policy but my product are being blocked

Healing
Visitor
2 0 2

I wish Shopify can outline all the acceptable Use policies (AUC) as I sale Botanical and herbal supplements.  My product has necessary disclaimers required by FDA so I do not understand what the issue is.  On product type Shopify has no category for my products except "Other" and that is poor, this is an area that I suspect might be the reason that the suspend some product or removing them from my store.  It is so frustrating.  I wish that they have certified staff  or consultants that new users can hire to help with account/product set up so that they store can start conducting a smooth on-line business rather than battle with Shopify!!!

JasonStxrm
Visitor
1 0 1

This is Awful not even a full 7 days of Being Up And Running after a couple years of dedication to this. trying to do this thing fulltime and I get terminated without any reason because they consider it. I didn't violate not one thing on there. I read it at least 4 times to see if I missed anything. Held out my payments as well. This is extremely frustrating. Then you cant speak to an actual person to help resolve this. No specifics. @Shopify has to figure this out and help! 

Pince-7869
Visitor
2 0 1

Did resolve your problem or not

Pince-7869
Visitor
2 0 1

Same thing happened with me. 

They said Acceptable use policy aup. Are violating that's why my account is inactive.  

I don't know how to apeal this matter. No customer support. Not reply in mail.  

Very frustrating with Shopify. 

Kmehani
Visitor
1 0 1

I have had the same issue. can anyone please help me out. I just sell shoes and clothes through my store. I've invested alot of money in developing my store. and they just shut it down without any prior warning or notice. I dont know what to do. They are not even replying to my emails. If anyone can help me out. 

Prime_Plus
Visitor
1 0 0

Hi there. 

We had the exact same issue while we were setting up our store on Shopify. 

While in the process, we got an email notifying us of account closure due to alleged violation of their AUC (we didn't even started to work on the website properly or uploaded any product at all), and then a further email saying that some information provided on Shopify payments could not be verified.

Just for the record, i'am owning and directing an LTD Company active and successfuly trading since 2016, fully verified by UK GOV, Companies House (HMRC) and Amazon. As we are also their business partners and successfully selling with them since 2010 with a prior and the actual Company. 

(And just to answer to a prior user who mentioned it, the amount of times we had our account suspended on Amazon over 13 years of working with them, it was maybe a couple times and for matters that we could resolve quite fast and efficiently and that never happened again, but most importantly we always got prompt answers to sort issues). 

Asight being contacted and assigned account managers over the years, been invited at their offices here in Italy (aa i'm italian myself etc).

I answered their email kindly requesting to explain what the issue was aa we are willing to resolve it together and no answer so far.

If we won't get any reply i believe it may just be worth to try with a new company if you really wish to stick to it, or just build a store elsewhere. 🙂 

We found this quite upsetting and in case we won't even get a reply also quite unprofessional in all honesty. 

All the best to all. 🙂