Product-specific eMails

Highlighted
Tourist
44 0 1

I just created my Shopify store and like what I see. However, I have a growing issue, as I extend the number of products I sell, and hope there's a way to handle this.

A significant percentage of the products I sell will have some "special" treatment necessary. For example, I have one software product for sell (created by another vendor). When someone orders that through my site, I want to send a very specific eMail to the customer, describing next steps.

The order confirmation eMail to customers simply lists products, price, etc. I have edited and it remains relevant. But in addition to this I need to send "conditional eMails" (depending on the specific products ordered).

Obviously I'd love to fimd Shopify supports this natively. If not, are there apps that provide this?

Thanks.

Mark

0 Likes
Highlighted
Pathfinder
109 0 40

Hi Mark,

Mailchimp's Shopify integration does a pretty good job of this using their automation feature. You can send sequences based on specific product purchased, collection purchased or even timing of purchase. 

Here's an article where I explain how we set up our post-subscrption email sequence - but we also have a post purchase sequence that has some tailored elements based on the purchase history

http://www.indiebrandbuilder.com/the-email-followup-sequence-that-drives-6-figures-in-sales/

Hope that helps,

Jeremy

I co-run www.soyoung.ca and document my experience in building a 7 figure brand at www.indiebrandbuilder.com
0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
44 0 1

Thank you for the response, Jeremy. I will take a look and hopefully this will point me in the right direction.

As a minor observation, I noticed that Shopify seems to be heavily focused on MailChimp (to the extent that it crossed my mind there is maybe some business relationship). I just switched from MailChimp to Active Campaign (which turned out to be an extremely positive change for me, particularly around tagging and automation).

Hopefully your Active Campaign integration is just as strong, including the ability to identify products purchased.

As an aside, I also havea Zapier account, which may open up other opportunities.

Thank again.

Mark

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
44 0 1

It seems the Active Campaign integration won't give me what I need (or Zapier for that matter). The integration merely exposes order-level data (customer, total price, etc). I need to be able to get to the line item levels, so I can kick off eMails based on the specific products being ordered.

This need seems so common to me that I'm wondering if I might be approaching this in the wrong way. Stepping back, can anyone suggest how I might tackle a scenario where if a specific product is ordered then an eMail is sent that is specific to that product.

Really surprised there are not even any apps that can do this, at least as far as I am aware.

Open to any suggestions.

Thanks.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
53 0 3

Hey,

Have you check out Digital Downloads app?

https://apps.shopify.com/digital-downloads

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
7 0 0

I have built a custom node.js service for this issue. I needed product meta data in emails and the only way to get it was build a custom solution. 

• Use shopify notification to send checkout data to my Node server
  • iterate products looking for specific tags
  • use that products ID to request meta data from Shopify
  • compose email

If people are still looking for an answer please reach out.

0 Likes
Highlighted
3 0 0

I know this is old, but I have been trying this forever. 

I tagged a product with a word. I would like the order confirmation to have extra text if that item is on the order. 

can you PLEASE help with this?

0 Likes
Highlighted
1 0 0

Hi @jsells can you help me out?

I have the exact same problem. I need to send a specific e-mail when customers buy a subscription product.

Can you help me out?

If it´s ok we talk via e-mail: play@getplaybox.com

thank you!

0 Likes
1 0 0

Might you still be able to help with this?

My email is dylan@gendebridge.com 

0 Likes