Product types: plural or singular?

Solved
Highlighted

I have been using plural forms for product types in my Shopify admin (patches, buttons, stickers), but curious if anybody can suggest reasons why I might want to be using singular?

From what I can gather, it's only used on the back-end, correct?

So if I were to change things, I'm not going to mess up URLs or any manually-created internal linking, correct?

Monster, creature & cryptozoology patches, buttons & stickers.
0 Likes

Success.

Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
308 33 60

Hey, @George_C !

Lizzy here, from Shopify.

Your product types can be anything you like that makes sense for your business. The only reason I can see singular or plural words being an issue is if you needed to use both in future and had to switch some products over.

What made you consider switching your types from plural to singular?

The main uses of product types will be for creating automated collections or for apps that us type as an identifier. Some themes will have an option to filter products by type too. They are also useful for your own organizational purposes.

This means if you were to change them, the only things that would be affected are any collections you have using your product types, or categorization systems you've put in place with them. Very often though, these systems or collections can simply be updated as well to match the new typing.

How do you currently use the product types in your store? Do you have any sort of filtering system on the storefront for customers to use?

Please feel free to let me know if you have any questions at all about what I've said!

Thank you,
Lizzy

Lizzy | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

1 Like
Tourist
4 0 0

Hi Lizzy

You can also use tags to categorise products, correct?

Thanks a million

Karen

0 Likes
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
308 33 60

Hey, @karensshop!

Yes you can. Are you thinking of categorizing products for collections? If so, this page explains how to use tags to create them. Let me know if you have any other questions!

Lizzy

1 Like
Tourist
4 0 0

Yes indeed, thanks Lizzy. 

Do tags impact SEO?

0 Likes
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
308 33 60

Hey, @karensshop.

Tags won't affect your SEO directly, as they are an internal organization tool.

That being said, there are some themes or apps which will display your tags on a page, or use them for product categories. If this is the case, they may have an impact on your SEO. This article from Little Stream Software talks about ways your tags could potentially affect SEO. 

Are you looking for ways to boost your SEO? If so, did you know that you can adjust your product's meta description directly on the product page in the admin? This forum post explains a bit more about that! 

Let me know if you have any questions about what I've said here!

Lizzy

1 Like

Check out my reply here regarding Tags and SEO.

0 Likes

So I ended up switching all my Product Types to singular, as it seemed to make the most sense — all my patches are of the product type "Patch". 

I had to update automatic Collections that used the product type as the filter criteria, but that was a simple fix with just 5 product type Collections to update. 

1 Like
Tourist
4 0 0

This is useful, thanks

0 Likes