Solved

Can Shopify collection pages link directly to product pages for SEO efficiency?

aviannah987
Visitor
1 0 5

I'm seeing the following;

• When navigating to a Product from a Collections page the Product page is displayed as .com/collections/collection-name/products/product-name
  • Looking at the Canonical link on that page it points to the true product page - .com/products/product-name

My question is, as our products only belong to one collection, is there a way to make the Product shown in the collection page link directly through the Collection page?

i.e. It looks the same however the products displayed link to - .com/products/product-name rather than .com/collections/collection-name/products/product-name

The reason I ask is that from an SEO point of view the internal linking from the collections pages point to the /collections/ URL which is then canonically redirected to /products/ which adds time to crawling the site as well as loses link equity through the redirect.

Accepted Solution (1)

Fayyaz_Ahmed
Shopify Partner
176 34 65

This is an accepted solution.

Hello Aviannah:
This is a great question. Unfortunately, it's not something that is able to be changed. Only handles are able to be adjusted. So you could change what the URL displays the product name to be, but the Shopify generated URLs will stay the same. 

11-41-m0jmk-1ewsk.jpg11-42-5nuke-4vhus.jpg

Basically, the URL is like breadcrumb navigation. Whatever the route that it takes to get to a product will be shown in the URL. So, in this case, the product was in the collection so it will show /collection/collection-name/products/product-name. 

i hope that helped to clarify for you 🙂

Problem Solved? ✔️Accept the solution so you can help others.
* Email: fayyazraza@gmail.com * Skype: fayyaz_raza

View solution in original post

Replies 42 (42)