Can I view a list of products without collections in Shopify?

Terry_Denham
Visitor
2 0 1

Is there a way I can see list of products without collections?  

Thanks

Replies 18 (18)

Nick
Shopify Staff (Retired)
4531 434 1024

Hi @Terry_Denham,

Nick here from Shopify. 

Good question. Other than collections, the best way to group a set of products together would be by using tagsTags are searchable keywords associated with your product. Tags can help customers find your product through your online store search and in collections also if you have any. Shopify has a Youtube tutorial on tags which you could find useful. 

Can I ask why you don't want to go down the route of using a collection? By understanding why you don't want to use a collection it might help figure out any other ways you can approach what exactly you're looking to do. 

Hopefully, this helps and lets you do what you need though. Any other questions, just let me know. 

All the best, Nick

To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Community Blog.

athenatarot
Visitor
1 0 0

Hi, Nick - I'm not the original poster, but I have the same question. In my case, I will have relatively few products in my store (9-12 products, perhaps) and I would prefer to have them all available right on the homepage. In this case, collections would add unnecessary clicks and hierarchy to a customer's navigation of the site. What's the best way to get rid of collections and list items right on the main page? Thanks.

Nick
Shopify Staff (Retired)
4531 434 1024

Hi @athenatarot,

I'm thinking, a theme which is designed for highlighting a smaller amount of product, especially on the homepage could be a good way of doing what you want. I took a look at the theme store and the Minimal theme looks like it could potentially work. 

20-06-dvs4c-hlwx3

The items being pointed to are products on the homepage display. Do you think this could be an option for you? 

The Minimal theme is also a Shopify designed theme and free. 

kantar
Tourist
3 0 1

Hi Nick!
I'm not the original poster, but I wanted to ask a similar question. My question is that I want to add products to a new page but without collection. The reason why I don't want collection is because then the customer has to click on that page first and then when he is on that page, he will have to click on the collection itself to reach the products, which means he is going through to two pages to reach the product which I don't want. Can you help with that?

Nick
Shopify Staff (Retired)
4531 434 1024

Hi @kantar,

Each theme is different so the dynamics of how the pages are structured are all different. Could you say which theme you are using and a link to it please so I can take a closer look? And just to make sure I understand fully, you want to create a blank page and have individual products on it, not collections? 

Chetterb
Visitor
1 0 0

Has anyone figured this out? From what I see all free templates have collections on the main page, no product only, even the Minimal theme. As the poster said above you currently have to click the collection, click the collection again, then get to the listing. I'm currently using Brooklyn.

MrHamed
Visitor
2 0 0

I think I figured it out for the Boundless Theme, maybe works for other themes as well.

Go to:

Online Store

--> Navigation

----> Main Menu

-------> Products

----------> Edit

---------------> Link

------------------> All products

Happy selling, ps. Check out my store if this helped you: lovewithoutborders.co

Not applicable
Hi,

in Empire I cannot find it.
zoe_vine
Tourist
8 0 1

Hello,I need to do this with the Fashionopolis theme. Collections are loading very very slowly since installing the Locksmith app which I need due to Brexit. Anyone got any idea?

Nick
Shopify Staff (Retired)
4531 434 1024

Hi @zoe_vine,

Sorry to hear your collections are loading slowly. Nice selection on the Fashionopolis theme, I like it! The Fashionopolis theme is developed by a third party called We Are Undeground and they could be the best people to speak to about this since they developed the theme. You can contact them directly here. Maybe the app wasn't installed properly or could be installed in a better place in the code, but they will know best since they designed it! 

It could also be worth asking the development team at Locksmith to see if they're app has caused any other stores to slow down. You can email them at team@uselocksmith.com

Not applicable

same problem here.

Ineed a filter to find items without collections, so I can add them to the proper collection. any ideas?

all collections are manual btw

underthecovers
Visitor
1 0 4

What if I want to see what items have not been put in any collections so I can add them to the proper collection. it would be very helpful to be able to search for items without a collection.

DarrylRobertson
Tourist
4 0 2

Looks like Shopify can't do that without paying someone for a plugin.

I feel like Shopify is designed to be missing basic functionality so that we can buy a plugin.

I'm declaring that search for a product where the collection is missing is basic...and integral to data integrity.

vyaggio
Tourist
11 0 2

I can't agree more.Shopify staff often directs you to use plugging due to the lacking (very often) simple thing.

babylala
Visitor
2 0 1

A few years late but, perhaps it can help someone else also. 

1. Go to Online Store>Navigation>Main Menu

2. Add a menu item for the products. Example, for Apparel name the menu item "Apparel". Click Save.

3. Go to Products> Collection>Create Collection. Title this collection the same as the menu item you just created. I like to use manual collections if I won't be listing a lot of products for that category. Click Save.

4. Click Products and add the products you need to this collection. Example, "Apparel" items will go into the Apparel collection.

5. Go back to Online Store>navigation>Main menu. Click "Edit" on the menu you created. From there add the link to the collection name you just created. Example, if you made a menu item called "Apparel", you should have made a collection called "Apparel", and added the apparel products. So once the edit box pops up, click the box for Link>Collection>[Collection Name]. So for our example it would look like:

Online Store>Navigation>Main Menu>Apparel-Edit>Link>Collection>Apparel

Click save.

7. Test it out. Go to Online Store>View your Store>Click the menu item, and the page of products should display without any other collection, just the products. 

Also, you can make the collection and add the products before you make the menu item. That way when you make the menu item you can link it to the collection all in the same step.

I did this on Dawn theme.

Doesn't make sense to have customers click through a collection to get to a product/products when the page doesn't have that much products to begin with. 

Hope this helps. 

CP101
Visitor
2 0 1

Your solution worked perfectly. I am glad you chimed in "a few years late" - you saved me quite a bit of time! Thanks.

vyaggio
Tourist
11 0 2

Since you have 2 groups of products in your store - assigned to and not assigned to collection ,then you can do the following:

1)Assign the same tag to ALL products in your store;For example use the tag "TEST";Once done proceed next;

2)Filter the products by using the first EXISTING collection in your store. Lets assume your first collection is "Appliances". Once all products from "Appliances" have been shown, mark them all (use "Select all product in this store", which will select all products assigned to "Appliances") and then go to the menu on the bottom of your screen where from the menu you can select option "Remove Tags".

3)Remove the Tag "TEST" from the whole "Appliances" category;

4) Do same with all other categories from your store;

5)All other products that have no assignment yet will remain with the common tag "TEST" (or anything you have chosen in the beginning) so these can be filtered easily for further needs.

I hope this helps.

MyGadgets411
Shopify Partner
1 0 0

Dear @Shopify it would be a nice to have a Product Search Filter where Collection = Null or Blank.  How much effort would it take to add this capability?