Provide Store Credit for a return

Tourist
10 0 2

I'd like to start accepting returns, but rather than refunding the customer through the method they paid with, I'd like to give them store credit by issuing a gift card. Is this possible without destroying my accounting?

0 Likes
3 0 0

Hi Brian!

If you are using Shopify POS for your store, there is a way to enable Store Credits in your Order screen.  Here is a link with instructions:  http://docs.shopify.com/pos/operating-pos/orders/exchange-item.

Good luck and I hope this helps!

Natasha

0 Likes
Tourist
10 0 2

Can you do this for customers who order online?

0 Likes
Tourist
4 0 1

Hi Brian!

It is actually quite simple to issue a store credit for purchases online. Go into your stores admin click on Settings and then Payments. On the Orders screen click on the order which you wish to give a store credit. Choose Refund then click Done. Since you want to issue a Store Credit simply pick Store Credit. Click Done, then Next.

Hope this helps!

1 Like
4 0 0

Hi Brian!

If you have a Professional plan or higher you could always issue the customer a gift card.  You can issue gift cards without a customer having to pay for one (see how to create one here).  The customer would need to have an existing account but I assume they do if they've placed an order with you online.  This circumvents the need for the Shopify POS and you can also export your gift card data into a .csv file for any accounting purposes.

Hopefully that works for you!

Danielle

0 Likes
Tourist
10 0 2

I went into my store's admin and clicked on Settings and then Payments...all got that got me to was my payment gateways. 

I see where you can issue a refund, http://docs.shopify.com/manual/your-store/orders/refund-order   ; but I don't see where there is an option to make the refund for store credit.

0 Likes
Tourist
10 0 2

Issuing a gift card kind of works. I can go to the order page and use the refund function and give the customer a refund for $0.00, and this will add the item back to inventory, and I can then issue a gift card for the amount of the order, and presumably the accounting will line up -  e.g. original order was for $1, refund was issued for $0, then gift card issued for $1, so no net change.

Shopify should build in the functionality to directly issue a refund via gift card.

1 Like
Highlighted
Excursionist
58 0 4

Great topic.

I have been using discount codes that I then give the customer to use to make a future purchase.

One reason I have done it this way is as a holdover from the last platform I was on.  Also, more recently, I have had some concerns about gift card legislation including some state provisions that they cannot expire.  I usually have an expiration date on any store credit.

I would like to hear from more people about how they issue store credits when an item is returned.

0 Likes
Tourist
6 0 1

Hi Brian

Actually, there is a simple way to issue store credit on Shopify - you can us rise.ai.

Rise enables you to issue store credit directly to customers while segmentizing the reason for the analytics to keep a better accounting track.

For repeat customers, you will also be able to accumulate it directly to their account, creating a seamless experience that they don't even need to remember the code in.

Hope it helps :)

1 Like
Tourist
6 0 1

Hi Brian, 

I feel you - I heard this problem so many times. 

I think you should try Rise ai app. You can use it for both Shopify POS and Shopify online store. It helps merchants to offer customers Store Credit for returned items and to manage the whole process. After that. customers with an account can redeem store credit on the cart page/checkout page (Shopify Plus merchants only). You can export your data to avoid destroying your accounting.

0 Likes